D&D 5E April 1st Encounters

Voort

Explorer
So, our Wednesday night Encounters fall on April Fools Day next week. Any DMs out there plotting pranks on their tables?

I think I will be announcing that a Hasbro/WotC product placement deal with the Divergent movie series will be adding five new factions to the League: Dauntless, Amity, Erudite, Abnegation, and Candor. Should be fun for the reactions.

jgsugden

Legend
I always go the route of traditional D&D puns - Tell the PCs they are facing a Wight Dragon - and watch them be surprised by level draining rather than cold breath...

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
If the PCs are going to kill a BBEG or some important vilain, have Drizzt crash the party and defeat the BBEG for the PCs. Say you can't do anything about it, Drizzt always saves the day in the Realms. Than go: "April's Fool! It was Elminster diguised as Drizzt! Elminster is the one who always saves the day."

Tormyr

Hero
The party will be going through a trap heavy section. I might put in an inescapable trap and then say, "It was all just an illusion."

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I always go the route of traditional D&D puns - Tell the PCs they are facing a Wight Dragon - and watch them be surprised by level draining rather than cold breath...
That was always the deal with the Wight Dwarf. I need to redo the monster for 5th edition -- the grognards always get a rise out of it, if they're old enough to remember the White Dwarf magazine when it ran D&D articles.

Crothian

First Post
Start by having a DM screen for a different game. My go to is Paranoia. Then hit them with puns and over the top NPCs.

neobolts

Explorer
My favorite table prank was in an Eberron campaign with a warforged PC with an interchangable arm. The fairies charged him with fufilling a prophecy and equipped him with this elaborate greatsword arm: a huge flat blade with razor-sharp holes punched through the flat of the blade. It wasn't until he saw the enormous block of cheese waiting for him at the end of the dungeon that he realized his greatsword was in fact a grate-sword -- he had spend the day with a giant cheese grater for an arm.

Last edited:

Remove ads