Arcane netflix series

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I find myself re-watching it even though I just finished it a couple of days ago, which hasn't happened since ... Aliens? Excellent storytelling, pacing, animation, characters, voice acting, music (and have you seen all the fan music-videos?). Such a beautifully detailed setting. Can't wait for season 2, though I expect it will take a while.
Rewatching it I enjoyed it even more. I noticed so many things the follow up rewatchings that had payoff later, or showed extra meaning to events that would happen. Amazing use of “show don’t tell”.

Watching the “documentary” of the making on YouTube, “Bridging the Rift” I’m pretty sure they implied season 2 was well underway as season 1 was wrapping up, and two years of the time bringing season 1 to completion was a reset and start over. Then Riot bought Fortiche, and sounds like pushing a ton of money at it. There is a strong chance we will not be waiting many years.

Dreamscape

Crafter of fine role-playing games
There's been some discussion of this on anime forums (as they usually talk about all kinds of animation, not just japanese, as well as a lot of related live action stuff), and in a few other places, just not as much as I would expect. Anyway, that's not really important. What is important is that I'm more than half convinced that we don't need live action any more. Arcane is better. Thesis follows.

I haven't found any anime that I could really get into for years, now - I think the last one may have been Gundam Thunderbolt. I discovered Arcane about two weeks ago, binged it immediately, then binged it a second time. Then I watched the 5-part making of video Bridging the Rift. Yesterday I started watching Arcane for the third time.

There may be spoilers below, though I hope everyone in the world has watched this at least once by now.

I think there's an almost-perfect storm at work to make it so good. Okay, I'm an anime - and animation - fan, so from the start that has me more hyped than other viewers. Watching Bridging the Rift makes it clear that the show makers were all doing it for love, to the extent that they could admit when they couldn't handle something so they went and found someone who could. The talent thrown at this is just amazing, starting with the French animation studio Fortiche and then going on to great writing, editing, music, arrangement, and all that other stuff. And for a change the management did what they were there for - keeping the production on track, telling them when they had to be better, and backing the team all the way (once the team had convinced them of their dream). There are too many good things in the show to list even a tenth of them.

The animation is amazing. No motion capture just 3D animation, digitally overpainted. As they said, motion-capture gives you realistic movement, and nothing else. The movements and expressions are perfect, subtle and understated or extravagant as needed. The parkour scenes are some of my favourites. The level of detail in the backgrounds is beautiful, and unlike most animation the quality of finish in the moving elements is up to the same standard. I'm still discovering cool Easter eggs in the backgrounds, if I knew anything about League of Legends the game (I don't) I bet there are a ton of them I haven't even noticed. I laughed when they asked one of the French animators how they achieved the painterly effect, and she answered, "We paint!"

The voice acting is flawless, they really got very good matches for the characters. None of the dialogue is tongue-in-cheek, everything is done straight and seriously in spite of the (frankly rather silly) magic-steampunk game setting so I never broke immersion at any point. In fact there are some really pretty tough, emotional scenes that so far only get more powerful with re-watching.

The music is mind-blowing, though it makes sense once you know that the main brains behind the show is a musician. The songs written for the show are like music videos right there in the episodes. The sound is also very deep and layered, the more I watch it the more I'm picking up on thematic elements whenever Hextech is on screen, or Shimmer, or particular characters. Everything has its own background sound. And there's a stack of AMVs out there where people are cutting together scenes from the show, some of which have rather spiffing timing (Rasputin is one of my top picks).

The visual storytelling is masterful. So much nuance conveyed without exposition. The opening scene - with no dialogue at all other than Powder singing - reminded me of something out of Alan Moore's Watchmen graphic novel, where the original Niteowl mentions some writing advice he was given on getting the readers invested right away: "Start with the saddest thing you can think of". My favourite scene is the fight on the bridge between Ekko/Littleman and Jinx/Powder, where their whole relationship background was made clear in just a few seconds of animation switching back-and-forth between their younger selves and the present. And the show is full of that sort of thing, of which we non-players are probably 80% unaware.

I hope the anime industry is watching this closely, because IMO Japan has just lost the crown to France.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
You seem to have had the same reaction I did when I stumbled on it, bored and looking for some animation.

I came across Arcane right before the third week was released because my news feed is filled with genre news. Suddenly there was this article that this show had some of this highest ever rating, critics and fans, of any Netflix show I was intrigued.

Then I binged.

Then I jumped to YouTube looking for video reviews to see if people were raving about what I liked. Those early reviews pointed out things I missed, which only boosted my appreciation of the crafting of the show.

And then YouTube’s algorithm fed me reaction videos. Some thing I did not know was a thing. And I binged reaction videos of Arcane! Seeing fans react to scenes in ways that I might have only zoned out through, but watching them cheer or cry to got me emotional with them as I watch.

In any case, if you are up for rewatching Arcane, consider hunting out some of the popular reactions to the show to gain an appreciation for how different fandoms have embraced the show. Watching people absolutely bawl their eyes out through the tragedy and drama the characters experience really can deepen one’s appreciation.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Oh, and speaking of reaction videos; Cinema Therapy (a Youtube channel where they do filmic and psychological readings of different movies and movie characters) has recently done an episode on Powder/Jinx.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So here's a fun fact I stumbled across earlier today: bootleg copies notwithstanding, there's no physical media of this series, despite having been out for more than a year now.

I was planning on giving the series to a friend of mine as a holiday gift (he doesn't have Netflix, and isn't interested in being gifted with a subscription), and I took it for granted that there was a physical media version of it available through the usual distribution outlets online. Nope! The series is, as far as I can tell, not available to own as an offline product. Who knew?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
So here's a fun fact I stumbled across earlier today: bootleg copies notwithstanding, there's no physical media of this series, despite having been out for more than a year now.

I was planning on giving the series to a friend of mine as a holiday gift (he doesn't have Netflix, and isn't interested in being gifted with a subscription), and I took it for granted that there was a physical media version of it available through the usual distribution outlets online. Nope! The series is, as far as I can tell, not available to own as an offline product. Who knew?
I have the impression that many successful series in different streaming services are "exclusive content" and not available to be seen legally outside the streaming subscription.

Remove ads