Arcane replenishment - can use daily power again?

Runestar

First Post
The artificer's arcane replenishment ability lets you recharge a magic item's daily power. What I would like to know is if this allows me to ignore the general limitation that I may only activate an item's daily power once a day until I have taken an extended rest?

On page 226 of the PHB, it states that I get another use of a daily item power when I reach a milestone, but that it cannot come from the same item. Lets say I have a human fighter4 who is wielding a flaming longsword, and he uses its daily power in the 1st encounter. The artificer than uses arcane replenishment on it to recharge its daily power. After 2 battles, the fighter gains a milestone. Is he then able to activate the flaming weapon's daily power a 2nd time, or is he still subject to the limitation of the aforementioned rule?

As such, would the only use for this ability be that the figher can pass his flaming longsword on to another PC, who could then use its daily power himself?

This question also applies to the rule allowing you to recharge an item's daily power by expending a healing surge.

Thanks all in advance for your responses.:)

NMcCoy

Explorer
The "cannot come from the same item" bit is just to clarify that the magic item itself doesn't get the milestone recharge, but the PC. The artificer lets the item be used once more, provided the character using it has a magic item daily use remaining.

Stogoe

First Post
Lets say I have a human fighter4 who is wielding a flaming longsword, and he uses its daily power in the 1st encounter. The artificer than uses arcane replenishment on it to recharge its daily power. After 2 battles, the fighter gains a milestone. Is he then able to activate the flaming weapon's daily power a 2nd time

Yes. Indeed, that is the entire point of Arcane Replenishment.

Runestar

First Post
I had my reservations about this as well. I think I know what the designers were intending when they conceptualized the arcane replenishment ability, and that 4e is supposed to be an exception-based game, but at the moment, it appears to be the exception to the wrong rule!

As of the moment, there are 3 rules governing the use of item dailies.

1) At heroic, max use of 1/day, +1 for each milestone.
2) The item's charges.
3) The rule about you not being able to use the same item daily power more than once at any one time.

Arcane replenishment lets you get around (2), (1) is automatically lifted every 2 encounters, but there seems to be nothing letting you work around (3).

Is my mastery of the english language so poor that I cannot seem to grasp the obvious? I have poured through page226 of the PHB countless times, but however I read the relevant article, I cannot find anything which suggests that this would indeed allow a PC to use the same item daily power more than once per day, even after recharging it via arcane replenishment or expending healing surges (and nothing in those parts say anything about letting you eschew this limitation either). ???

What do the rest have to say? 120+ views and only 2 replies. Is my question so freaking obvious that you all deem it beneath you to grace me with an answer? :lol:

Tickler

First Post
I have been troubled with this same question. I'd have to say that Arcane Replenishment must allow an additional use of the SAME magic item daily power, otherwise it would serve no effective purpose. This is a play-test piece, I'm sure (at least I'd hope) that WOTC will correct the English on Arcane Replenishment in order to clarify this ambiguity.

FireLance

Legend
As of the moment, there are 3 rules governing the use of item dailies.

1) At heroic, max use of 1/day, +1 for each milestone.
2) The item's charges.
3) The rule about you not being able to use the same item daily power more than once at any one time.
I'd say that (3) is a subset of (2), and anything that lets you get around (2), e.g. the artificer's recharge ability, lets you get around (3).

Incidentally, healing surge recharge powers are not daily powers, so you can use them as long as you have healing surges to recharge the power.

DracoSuave

First Post
1) The 'Daily' keyword on an item's power prevents you from using that power more than once a day. No other rules text is necessary. That's what the Daily keyword does.

So, Daily powers on an individual weapon can only be used once per day.

2) The limit on number of Daily powers from items you yourself use in a day is an -additional- rule above and beyond this. This is the total number of uses of daily powers from -all- your items.

Arcane Replenishment recharges the use of a daily power on an item. Thusly, it effects number 1. However it does not affect a player, and does not give them an additional item use to their pool.

Another way to think of it is like this... instead of 'item daily power uses' let's give it a different name. Arcanum Points. Sure. That works, eh?

And instead of Daily - blah blah blah on the item, let's add in some 3rd edition style terminology. It'd end up like this:

Megasword of Blahblah
Properties blah blah blah
Skipping the irrelevant junk to the power:

Daily - Standard Action: Attack all enemies in a close burst 3 with a melee basic attack.

then becomes:

Daily - Standard Action: Spend an Arcanum Point. Attack all enemies in a close burst 3 with a melee basic attack.

Levels 1-10 you start with one Arcanum Point, 11-20 you start with two, and 21-30 you start with three. As well, you get an additional Arcanum Point when you pass a milestone.

If you conceptualize your personal daily power limit as Arcanum Points and spend one to use any daily item, it makes a little more sense.

Remove ads