• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Spell Failure with Shield and Armor

Abisashi

First Post
Search is taking me to a blank page, so I'll just ask this:

If a wizard is wearing armor with an arcane spell failure chance of 10% and has a heavy shield (ASF = 15%), he rolls ASF twice, once against 10% and once against 15%, correct?

Thanks

Thanee

First Post
I think you just add them together and roll once.

(Though, I really do not know why shields give ASF... you could chop the whole arm off and have no ASF, you could carry a trunk (well, a small one) on your shoulder and have no ASF, but strapping a shield to it... yeah, right! ;))

Anyways...

SRD said:
If a character is wearing armor and using a shield, add the two numbers together to get a single arcane spell failure chance.

Bye
Thanee

Li Shenron

Legend
Thanee said:
(Though, I really do not know why shields give ASF... you could chop the whole arm off and have no ASF, you could carry a trunk (well, a small one) on your shoulder and have no ASF, but strapping a shield to it... yeah, right! ;))

Or IIRC you could just CARRY the shield instead of WIELDING it strapped to your arm: same weight, even less comfortable to carry, only no AC bonus of course. But also no ASF :p

Mekabar

First Post
As I pointed out in an other post: ASF in't logical at all and doesn't even have a half-decent ingame explanation. It's a pure rule-induced mechanism.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads