• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archeologist issue

Summer-Knight925

First Post
If you are familiar with the archeologist archetype from ultimate combat, then you're aware they get awesome disable device stuff, but yet they do not get that skill, unless I missed it.

Do they get that skill?
Is this a typo?
Is it written somewhere else?

please help! D:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
IIRC, they don't get it as a class skill, but there are traits to do that for you. I forget what the specific "+1 bonus and class skill" one is, perhaps someone else can point it out. I do know Wisdom in the Flesh trait would make it a class skill and wisdom-based, though being a bard I imagine you'd prefer it NOT be wisdom-based...

concerro

Explorer
If you are familiar with the archeologist archetype from ultimate combat, then you're aware they get awesome disable device stuff, but yet they do not get that skill, unless I missed it.

Do they get that skill?
Is this a typo?
Is it written somewhere else?

please help! D:

It seems to be a typo. Since traits are optional rules it would not be fair to force you to depend on traits. If you are the GM I would let them have it.

N'raac

First Post
You can also add Disable Device as a class skill with the Cosmopolitan feat (two skills based on INT, WIS or CHA selected as class skills + 2 extra languages).

ACK! Looked up 3.5 SRD in error!

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Ok, I found a similar thread on the paizo boards. Someone linked to this.

Strangely, despite doing everything they possibly can to obsolete the rogue at every possible turn, in this one insignificant case, they thought letting the rogue keep his piddly +3 advantage would give him the needed "leg up," and no DD as a class skill was intentional.

In other news, the name of the trait to undermine that reasoning anyway is Vagabond Child. :D

Kaisoku

First Post
The creator of the archetype piped in saying that he likes keeping it this way for the reason StreamOfTheSky mentions, however he later says that his decision was more influenced by word count issues.

Basically, archetype formatting would have required rewriting the entire skill list with the one change, and there wasn't room for writing that up. This is the main reason it wasn't done.

I'd talk with the GM and see what he feels is most appropriate for his game. PFS though, you are stuck needing the trait to get the +3 bonus.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads