• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archer Fighters?

The Sword 88

First Post
The heavily armored soldier type of archer is a fairly different idea from the ranger type archer and is hard to do right now in 4e.

I would recommend using a ranger and taking the armor proficiency feats or maybe being a fighter multiclassed as a ranger to get the extra hp and all.

Shalimar

First Post
Anything but a shuriken (or a knife) for a ranged rogue is a waste of sneak attack and won't allow the character to play the striker role. Also even a ranged rogue will end up with a lot of melee powers due to lack of choice. The only real archer class is ranger. All of the Warlord attacks are melee.

Bishmon

First Post
The ranger class has virtually no 'ranger' flavor other than being forced to train in either nature or dungeoneering, so making an archer fighter is very easy -- it's just not called a fighter.

tafkamhokie

First Post
I think this is one of those places where the 3e paradigm is getting in the way.

In 4e, a fighter is not "guy who fights," a fighter is a defender. There is just no good way to "defend" with a bow. I don't see a single fighter power that allows the use of a ranged weapon. Sure, you can use a bow, but it would be nothing but basic attacks for 30 levels.

In 4e, a rangers is not "guy who flits around the woods," a ranger is a striker. There is almost nothing specifically nature-oriented about a ranger anymore. Take your bow, take all the ranger's kick-arse ranged weapon powers, and just call yourself an archer, or artillery, or militia, or sniper, or whatever word you want to use if you don't like ranger.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads