Are Animals in D&D Too " Eurocentric " ?

I expect the animal lists in a quasi-medieval-Europe set game to be Eurocentric; I find the presence of eg black bears and other North American animals quite disconcerting. In fact I demand Americans end their Americocentric animal listings and adopt a fully Eurocentric zoology! :p
No doubt they're referring to the Eurasian black bear, not the North American one.

SoulsFury

Explorer
You're saying that based on evidence or just assuming that?

:hmm:

Whether he is assuming or using sales figures, he is correct. The majority of D&D players are from North American and Europe. You do know the creators were from America, right? No where does he say if you are from outside this region you aren't allowed to play.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Most animals were included because they were cool or dangerous preferably both. (Giant constrictors are cool and dangerous so they're in. )What might make you think it is eurocentric is the portrayal of animals is from a modern point of view as opposed to an ancient Egyptian point of view. We are now familiarized with these animals. Legend still informs some of our opinion but it is to a lesser extent. Legend has become the domain of monsters like the Kraken and the Roc.

Animals used to be percieved to have supernatural qualities.

-Hypnotic swaying of cobras.
-Crocodiles being deities.
-Maggots being spawned from rotting meat.

Remove ads