• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are any companies continuing with 3.0 support ?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The more I think about it, I think WOTC/Hasbro has perhaps made a mistake - they've fractured the d20 market. Instead of just one d20 game, they've basically now got 3: 3.0, 3.5, and d20 Modern.

In theory, they're trying to get more market share, but they're basically competing with themselves.

Also, while it's true that AD&D is pretty much dead, a revised version of that lives on in Hackmaster..

Ranger REG

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
The more I think about it, I think WOTC/Hasbro has perhaps made a mistake - they've fractured the d20 market. Instead of just one d20 game, they've basically now got 3: 3.0, 3.5, and d20 Modern.
Well, 3.0e will soon fade after a year or two, as more publishers will develop new products more compatible with the current version, 3.5e.

A few will continue to make product backward-compatible to 3.0e, while others who still prefers 3.0e SRD over 3.5e SRD may develop standalone OGL-based games. It is just as viable without have to make any claim it is compatible with Dungeons & Dragons game.

And personally, I like to see more standalone SRD/OGL-based products out there.

As for d20 Modern, I don't think it is competing with D&D. They are of two different genres, although based on the same engine. Now, publishers have the option of supporting the modern genre since they have a problem with consumers asking them "Why is your modern-day genre product require me to get a fantasy role-playing gamebook?" I mean I see this question pops out a lot.

Remove ads