WOIN Are Armour Skills Defunct?

Faolin

Villager
With armor skills no longer reduce defense penalty should armor skills be considered defunct? They probably still have use for getting soak from higher quality armor. That feels so very lame though, like the lamest.

Should I just call armor the exception to the rules for benefiting from higher quality equipment?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Do you want to call armor the exception to the rules for benefiting from higher quality equipment? If so, sure, you should! It's your game!

As written, that's not the rule, but it's totally up to you. :)

Faolin

Villager
I don't want to make the armor the exception as I like constancy but I also feel that having armor as a skill that solely exists for quality bonuses would be frustrating for players. The lesser of evils would likely be keeping it constant. Who knows maybe the stars will align and someone might need to include armor as part of a LOG check, I am sure stranger combinations have happened.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Drop some exceptional quality armour in as loot and see if your players decide to invest in armour skills.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’m not sure what you mean. The rules are what’s in the book, plus the errata (of which there is very little). Which change are you referring to?

Faolin

Villager
Armor skills no longer reducing defense penalty. I just just downloaded a fresh pdf of N.E.W. and the rule is still there with no mention of the change in the errata. The only reason I know about the change is because I found it mentioned in a thread back in August.

Len

Prodigal Member
In this thread Morrus indicates there's an error, but doesn't explicitly say whether the error is in OLD or in NOW/NEW. I thought he meant that armour skills do reduce the defense penalty in all cases, but maybe I have it wrong.

Remove ads