• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are leadership followers only NPC classes?

Thanee

First Post
I don't think it's required. The rules are not very clear on that, and leave many decisions to the DM.

Bye
Thanee

IcyCool

First Post
The player of the Paladin in my group seems to want to use his followers as a sort of military force. After looking through Heroes of Battle, I noticed that most or all of the 1st level troops were NPC classes, and higher level troops were usually PC classes. I've kind of pulled off of that.

smootrk

First Post
An NPC can be any particular class. Sometimes it makes sense to have some of the officially NPC classes, and other times NPC's of standard classes (pc allowable classes).

For example, for a Paladin with the Leadership feat, one follower is a Paladin squire, several others are Fighter classed (seargents), one is a cleric (of the same deity as our paladin), a couple of experts, and the bulk are warriors & commoners.

This only works in situations without players who choose to munchkin out the situation with only 'the best' followers for his/her situation. If this is the case, I would suggest that the DM have the control over exactly what classes show up as followers for the character. If the player wants to form a military unit or otherwise totally coordinated group, I would suggest that he has to pay them as hirelings and not as followers. Followers would not necessarily show up meeting proper criteria to match the desired positions.

Sejs

First Post
In 3.0 it said flat out that followers could only be Commoners, Experts, or Warriors. In 3.5 that note is no longer there, but has been replaced with a line saying that they're "generally low-level NPCs". It's basically a DM call, now.

Felix

Explorer
I think it was in the 3.0 Epic Level Handbook that gave level equivalents to non-NPC classed followers. By that I mean having certain classes would give the follower a "Level Adjustment" as far as the feat was concerned.

Commoners, Experts and Warriors' level was their HD.
The other NPC classes level was their HD+1.
A PC classed follower was HD+3.

So a 1st level sorc follower took up a 4th level follower slot.

That's from memory, and IDHMBIFOM, so I could very well be wrong, but it worked out something like that. I don't see that this mechanic couldn't very well carry over.

SBMC

First Post
BloodyAx said:
The rules say followers are "usually low level NPCs". But the rules don't say whether they are NPC or PC classes.

As others already said there are no rules. About this now - it is up to the DM.

However note: when the PC goes to recruit, who shows up is random and is based upon where he is. If the PC is in a desolate hamlet…well then their probably won't be more than 1st level commoners around. If he goes to a major metropolis - lots of various folks. However lots of other higher level employers taking up NPC's as well.

If the PC walks into a cit far away from anywhere else he has been and starts recruiting; well he has no reputation here…no one knows him here. He could settle in, get a bard to sing, wait for a month or so then begin (far better results)

If he I in a familiar area and if he has a name for himself (in this case by default with the leadership feat his name should be of note in the area) in the area then many folks will show up because they want to part of his little organization; commoners, experts, warriors, fighters…but again based upon the populace.

If he is a fighter then more martial characters would be attracted. A wizard…more arcane casters…etc.

You can keep recruiting until you get the mix you want of course; but that does take time and resources.

IcyCool said:
The player of the Paladin in my group seems to want to use his followers as a sort of military force. After looking through Heroes of Battle, I noticed that most or all of the 1st level troops were NPC classes, and higher level troops were usually PC classes. I've kind of pulled off of that.

I am doing the same thing with my Fighter - making a little Army of my own (perhaps the my LN Ftr will battle your LG Pal someday with our armies! :] )

Of course the majority of the army are warriors - a few fighters in there…seeing a true fighters are so very rare (as are other PC classes).

Three_Haligonians

First Post
Felix said:
I think it was in the 3.0 Epic Level Handbook that gave level equivalents to non-NPC classed followers. By that I mean having certain classes would give the follower a "Level Adjustment" as far as the feat was concerned.

Commoners, Experts and Warriors' level was their HD.
The other NPC classes level was their HD+1.
A PC classed follower was HD+3.

So a 1st level sorc follower took up a 4th level follower slot.

That's from memory, and IDHMBIFOM, so I could very well be wrong, but it worked out something like that. I don't see that this mechanic couldn't very well carry over.

In the Epic Level Handbook it has an optional rule which says:

Though followers are normally warriors, experts, or commoners, your DM might allow you to have characters of other classes as followers. If you use this optional rules, adept or aristocrat followers count as followers of two levels higher than their actual character level. A follower with any levels in a PC class counts as a follower three levels higher than his character level. A follower with any levels in a pretige class counts as a follower five levels higher than his character level. This reflects the fact that such characters are rarely followers and are much more likely to be unique characters in their own right.

For example, a 6th level commoner, warrior, or expert counts as a 6th level follower. A 6th level adept or aristocrat would count as a 7th level follower. A 6th level fighter or 3rd level aristocrat/ 3rd level wizard would count as an 8th level follower. A 5th level rogue/1st level assassin would count as an 11th level follower.

Hope this helps!

R from Three Haligonians

Remove ads