D&D 5E Are Mind Flayers slimy?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
They are not slimy, but are rather soft and squishy. They have kind of a weird, almost chemically smell, like moldy leaves mixed with windex; but it's not a very strong smell. Like, you have to be standing right next to one, or have its tentacles wrapped around your head, to notice it. They are cold-blooded, but not very sensitive to temperature changes (there are many different types of "cold-blooded" and "warm-blooded" and some of them don't quite work the way we were taught in elementary school). That's what I imagine, anyway.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I do believe the description from the novel Exile states that they do indeed have a slimy skin, but it has been two decades since I read it, so I might ’member wrong...

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Apparently:

They are warm blooded, but have a silvery blood (presumably to better carry the psychic energies they feed on as nutrients). Their skin is soft and is moistened with mucus, which gives off a smell that can best be described as extremely faint and akin to a combination of garlic or onions and vanilla. However, because they are totally bizarre creatures, they don't breathe through their skin like a normal slimy creature does. Instead they are forced to use the lungs they "inherited" from whatever host creature they were morphed from. The mucus only holds in water, and more importantly, psionic energy.

But the kicker is:

The reason they put on robes is because they develop a warped sense of aesthetics as a byproduct of eating humanoid brains and being subtly influenced by their thoughts. Most peoples think that people with mental powers (A.K.A spellcasters) wear robes, therefore the Mindflayers think they should wear robes, as a kind of memetic infection. Mindflayers of Thoon don't suffer from this "contamination" (they have a bigger contamination problem), and don't wear robes as a result.

Last edited:

Guang

Explorer
I always figured they felt and smelled like octopus. Octopus-on-a-stick is a pretty common snack around here (tiny ones - about the size of an oreo), so I when I see a pic of a mindflayer I remember the last time I bit down and chewed on the little orange things. Now I'm getting hungry - I'd be at high risk of getting infected by one of their tadpoles hiding among the snack food I guess!

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
They are warm blooded, but have a silvery blood (presumably to better carry the psychic energies they feed on as nutrients). Their skin soft and is moistened with mucus, which gives off a smell that can best be described as extremely faint and akin to a combination of garlic or onions and vanilla. However, because they are totally bizarre creatures, they don't breathe through their skin like a normal slimy creature does. Instead they are forced to use the lungs they "inherited" from whatever host creature they were morphed from. The mucus only holds in water, and more importantly, psionic energy.
What is your source for this information?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases