Are the DMG, the MM, and/or minis necessary?

Geoffrey

First Post
Thanks to all for your replies. I'm understanding that some sort of 4E monster book would be valuable for me so that I could see how to properly design 4E monsters.

So, instead of a Monster Manual, what if I got this Lovecraftian Bestiary instead?

Critter Cache 6: Lovecraftian Bestiary - Goodman Games | Goodman Games

(The monsters therein range from a 2nd level skirmisher, Mi-Go scout to a massive 35th level solo soldier Cthulhu.)

Here's a preview of it, showing what Cthulhu looks like with 4E stats:

http://www.goodman-games.com/downloads/BDPCC06 - Cthulhu Preview.pdf

eriktheguy

First Post
I disagree with all those who say you don't need a DMG.

Okay, I suppose as an experienced 4th ed. DM who has a good grasp on how the math works, it isn't essential.

However, for someone who has never DMed 4th ed. before, while not absolutely essential, it is phenomenally helpful. Most important are the rules on how to design appropriately challenging encounters, and rules on how much treasure to give - both extremely useful.

I'm curious, though, why one would want to try playing with only a player's handbook? The price of all 3 starter books isn't THAT expensive, and certainly not if the whole group chips in.

Now, if you want to try the system out without springing for all the books, that's a bit different. In such a case, download one of the free adventures from the WotC website (there were 2 last time I checked) and run those. By the time you get to the end of those, you should have a pretty good idea whether this is something you want to play more of - at which point you can pick up the DMG and one of the monster manuals and try building some of your own adventures.

Touche on encounters and treasure. But beyond reading the passage a couple of times and consulting one or two tables occasionally you don't need.

Jack99

Adventurer
Thanks to all for your replies. I'm understanding that some sort of 4E monster book would be valuable for me so that I could see how to properly design 4E monsters.

So, instead of a Monster Manual, what if I got this Lovecraftian Bestiary instead?

Critter Cache 6: Lovecraftian Bestiary - Goodman Games | Goodman Games

(The monsters therein range from a 2nd level skirmisher, Mi-Go scout to a massive 35th level solo soldier Cthulhu.)

Here's a preview of it, showing what Cthulhu looks like with 4E stats:

http://www.goodman-games.com/downloads/BDPCC06 - Cthulhu Preview.pdf

While the monsters in there are cool, I am not sure you could grok 4e monster design going by that alone. That said, if it is a question of money, perhaps start with A more complete MM by the same author which costs only $10.50 atm. I would still pick the MM or MM2 before this one, if money was not an issue.

Is there a particular reason you don't want the core monster manuals?

Personally, I'd recommend MM2 over MM1. The first Monster Manual had some kinks that WotC mostly ironed out by the time they released the 2nd one.

Ourph

First Post
Actually, the DMG (1&2) are better resources for ad hoc monster design than the MMs (which have good examples, but don't really give explanations and formulas for how those examples were arrived at).

My recommendation for a bare-bones 4e experience would be PHB1, DMG1 and a 1 months subscription to the DDI (download the Character Builder, Encounter Builder and all the current Dragon and Dungeon issues to use after the subscription runs out).

Remove ads