Are there useful RPG tools for Linux?

The_Warlock

Explorer
So, in my spare time, I'm just starting to try and teach myself the deeper ins and outs of linux, and I have yet to do much. However, I figured if I could find any RPG tools for tabletop gaming that run on linux, that would draw me into doing run prep and research more on the Linux computer I set up, rather than defaulting to XP system, thus forcing me to spend more time USING the system rather than simply non-committaly exploring menus and interface setup.

Anybody have any thoughts on software that is anywhere from generic, to customizable, to generally focused on D&D 3 and/or 3.5?

Thanks...

TogaMario

First Post
If I can get a hold of a Linux machine to compile on, I'll have a free mapping softare available within a few weeks (calling it FreeCountry :)). I'm working on this as a precursor to my RPGui program, and I've got some functionality on PCs and on Macs so far, so hopefully I can get a chance to poke around Linux and get it working there too.

kingpaul

First Post
PCGen runs via java. If your variant of Linux will run java (and I think all do, but I'm not sure) then your'e in luck.

Firzair

First Post
TogaMario said:
If I can get a hold of a Linux machine to compile on, I'll have a free mapping softare available within a few weeks (calling it FreeCountry :)). I'm working on this as a precursor to my RPGui program, and I've got some functionality on PCs and on Macs so far, so hopefully I can get a chance to poke around Linux and get it working there too.
How about setting up a Linux VM using the VMWare Player. The VMWare Player is freeware and there are freeware programs to let you create new VMs (e.g. VMXBuilder). You can also download many VMs ready to go.
I've got Kubuntu running in a VM on my XP machine, it's really nice.

Greetings
Firzair

The_Warlock

Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

As for PCGen, possibly, I tried it many a year ago, but left it behind due to the difficulties inherent in its interface and inputting desired data. It has come a long way, then, since it's first steps?

Togo, I'll try any useful RPG tool. :)

As for Wine, I haven't researched it exhaustively in sometime, but it was my impression that while it was useful, esp for compact/single file executables, it wasn't stable for all programs, and each program is a potential hit or miss. But, good point, nonetheless, and as I'm doing my initial learning on Mandriva 2007 Free, I suppose I look for a build that works with it.

Thanks again, all.

kingpaul

First Post
The_One_Warlock said:
As for PCGen, possibly, I tried it many a year ago, but left it behind due to the difficulties inherent in its interface and inputting desired data. It has come a long way, then, since it's first steps?
Quite a bit. :)

I've been using since 1.4.x days, and we're at 5.11.0 now.

TogaMario

First Post
Thanks for the tip :D Right now I'm trying to pass some time by learning Windows API programming. I can't make a truely cross-platform program without an update to the compiler/engine I was using, so I'm going to see how quickly I can outpace them with a Windows version programmed in c++, then work my way down the learning line till I have a Mac version and Linux version. If they take too long, I may end up with way more programming knowledge than I set out to obtain.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The_One_Warlock said:
As for Wine, I haven't researched it exhaustively in sometime, but it was my impression that while it was useful, esp for compact/single file executables, it wasn't stable for all programs, and each program is a potential hit or miss.

I have been using a couple multiple file installation type programs under it, DVD Shrink for example, without a problem. However I am sure you are right and there are programs that don't work under it.

The_Warlock

Explorer
Good to know (both re PCGen and Wine), now that I've finally brutalized my way through the Samba server/mount system and networked the darn machine, I can start dragging the more interesting programs and files over and see what presents itself as usable with Wine and what works native in Linux.

Importing email has been tricky until I finally figured out how to show all the hidden folders and just drag and drop from my Windows machine, so forcing myself to do all my email and web browsing on the linux box should also force my time more over there for finding and testing good RPG progs.

If anybody thinks of any other interesting native linux progs that would be benficial to a GM, let me know those to, though after your suggestion Flexor, I'm having high hopes that a chunk of the more unique programs I use can port over.

Thanks again all

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases