Are you an Adventurer? Redux

Way back last fall I started writing this weekly column for ENWorld. The topic of my very first column was “Are you an Adventurer?” It was all about how we emulate the spirit of adventures contained in the games we play, and sometimes even a version of the activities our characters participate in.

It’s been on my mind recently because I’ve watched a couple shows on NetFlix that have fascinated me. I’m talking about the pair of documentaries Long Way Round and Long Way Down, depicting the actors Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman riding their motorcycles around the world. In the first, Long Way Round, they ride from London east across Europe and the entire width of Asia, mostly through Kazakhstan, Mongolia, and Russia. They then fly across the northern Pacific to Alaska and complete the trip by riding through Canada and the northern US to New York, their final destination.

Long Way Down was a similar trip but this time they start in John o’Groats, the absolute northern tip of Scotland, south across Europe through France, Italy, and Sicily. They cross over to northern Africa and make their way all the way south to Cape Town. Each of these trips have been full of incredible scenery, looks into the cultures of these various countries, occasional danger and minor injury, and lots and lots of miles covered, some of them with great difficulty and tedium. These are unquestionably “adventures of a lifetime” that all of the participants acknowledge as such.

This stuff grabs me bigtime. I’ve always been a fan of “adventure racing” like the Eco Challenge and the Iditarod. I love nature and places off the beaten path. They offer a chance for solitude and quiet as well as a time to spend with good friends or family. There is often little to do except hike, enjoy the views, and focus on the relationships around you. That’s good stuff.

In such places I also find myself identifying with some of the travails I gloss over for the characters I portray in RPGs or the challenges I set for others in the games I run. Doing a dozen mile hike while carrying a full pack of gear on your back is something we might narrate in thirty seconds while running a game. But doing it in real life is quite another experience.

I’ve got a couple hiking/camping trips planned within the next month. Schlepping around the woods carrying a complete campsite, as well as food and entertainment, on your back is a lot of work. It is exhausting and plainly more difficult than enjoying the comforts of home. Why do I want to go do such a thing?

My answer is much the same as the reason I play many of the games I do: I enjoy challenging myself. I like the feeling of making it to the top of a mountain. Or the feeling of taking my pack off in camp after hiking all morning. I like putting my feet up by the fire and chatting with my companions about the sights we saw and miles we covered that day. Those achievements or moments of accomplishment can’t come without having come through some amount of difficulty, challenge, or hardship.

There is a moment in Long Way Round when they are slogging their way through western Mongolia and the “roads” are simply horrible. In fact, the surfaces they are traveling upon cannot, by any reasonable definition, be called roads. They’re just squishy ruts between mudholes. Ewan McGregor pulls out a map and starts looking at how close they are to the Russian border, where the roads have proper tarmac on them. It is tantalizingly close, and would be vastly easier than the way they had planned.

Ultimately he decides the “easy way” is not what he wants from the trip. He even berates himself a bit for considering the option and wanting to deviate from their planned course at the first sign of adversity. I think he was being a bit hard on himself. They had already proven by that point that they were willing to endure hardship and plenty of adversity. Regardless, I felt a swell of respect for these guys for being willing to press on. It proved to be a really good decision in terms of how they felt about it in retrospect.

I think it is easy to see a show like this and think about how well and good it is for those guys, but such adventures are not for the likes of common folk. However, I found myself inspired not just by the idea, but by some of the encounters they had along the way. In remote places they encountered lots of other folks who were engaged in their own adventures. One guy they met was riding around the world on only pedal-powered means of transport!

I’m not sure exactly when or how, but I’m determined to have some kind of adventure like that before I’m done here on Earth. Tell me about the adventures you’ve had. Where have you been that required great effort or determination? Where are you planning to go next?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Not at all. In my first column, my example of "adventure" was about my embarking on a new career. That definitely meets my concept above about requiring great effort and determination. This was just a different slant on the concept.

Argyle King

Legend
My first thought would be to say I'm retired from adventuring. I spent 13 years being infantry in the Army; doing several combat tours. I retired a little over a year ago after an injury forced me out.

However, I'm now at a point where I've recovered enough to travel and do a lot of things that I wanted to do when I got the time, and now I have the time, so...

Earlier this year I took a trip to Vegas for my birthday. I was there for about a week. For the last two days, I drove from Vegas to The Grand Canyon. From seeing it on television and reading stories about it, I thought I'd be prepared for what it was like. To some extent I was even afraid I might be bored. Once I arrived and walked to the edge of the rim, I realized how wrong I had been. The epic scale of the canyon isn't captured by television or pictures. Yes, they give some idea of what it will be like, but it's a completely different experience to be standing there and looking out across it; realizing how miniscule you are in comparison. It's also an awesome testament to nature to stop and think about the fact that the unbelievably massive canyon in front of you was carved out by what is a relatively small amount of water. I didn't have enough time to explore it more thoroughly since I was near the end of my trip, but I did learn that you can ride down into the canyon via donkey and camp. I'm setting up a trip to do so next year, and I look forward to the adventure of riding down into the canyon and sleeping under the stars for a few nights. If I have enough time, I may also go rafting down the river.

On the same page as "effort and determination," I'd say that one of my most difficult adventures to date has simply been learning how to live again. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's the truth. As I said above, I suffered injuries which ended my previous career. On top of the physical challenges, it was also a heavy mental burden to realize how far I had fallen from what I was before being injured; at times, it was hard to believe I could push myself to become even close to what I was. It's been an arduous journey, and it's still one that I'm working on, but I've come a long way -both physically and mentally; sometimes even emotionally. Pushing through the physical pain was easy; it was convincing myself that I could do it or that it was even worth trying was the hard part. I just got to a point where I told myself that I refused to be a statistic. I wasn't going to be a percentage point for someone doing a survey of vets who had fallen on hard times. I still have days where I struggle, and I may never be 100% the same again, but I still work at it. I push myself. I make an effort to be better every day.

exile

First Post
Initial response, heck yeah, I'm an adventurer.

The truth though is that I spend far more time preparing for adventure than I do actually adventuring.

I exercise on a regular basis. I run, lift, do calisthenics. I compete in various runs and adventure races/mud runs.

I am a general surgeon. I operate most days of the week and see patients in office. That doesn't seem very adventurous, but it allows me to continuously hone the most valuable skill that I could bring to any sort of adventure/expedition.

I read a fair bit, so I can bring some additional knowledge to any expedition/adventure. I set the goal of reading one book each month for myself as a New Years resolution. As it turns out, I usually read more than that. I do need to read more non-fiction though.

I practice with firearms and have my CCDW license. An adventurer must be able to protect himself after all. Along similar lines, my brother is teaching me a little about hunting, and I have asked a friend to teach me to fish.

I am in the process of building a bug out bag.

jasper

Rotten DM
I will be a great adventurer as soon as adventure arrives at my doorstep. After 6 pm and my supper but before my 9:30 bed time. :)

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases