Area Attacks and Allies

fuzzyhobbit

First Post
I am playing the Wizard in KotS and have a rules question.

When I use an area attack (Burning Hands or Fire Shroud) does the attack also hit my allies? Or, since I roll for each target, can I choose to ignore party members located in the burst or blast?

I am inclined to think you can ignore them, else the Wizard has to run up and be a front line character to hit all those kobold minions before other PCs join the fray.

Thanks.

Vaeron

Explorer
Some powers specifically say that they target only enemies. Otherwise, they target PCs as well. At high levels you can pick up feats to exclude certain squares, but otherwise getting rid of friendly fire would be a house rule.

Edit: Examples
Divine Glow, Cleric Attack 1 - Close blast 3, each ENEMY in blast - 1d8+wisdom radiant damage.

Burning Hands, Wizard Attack 1 - Close blast 5, each CREATURE in blast - 2d6+int fire damage.

Last edited:

chaosmoon

First Post
As far as my take on it you would hit all targest in the area of effect. There are other templates in the DMG that allow you to exclude party members.

NMcCoy

Explorer
In the target: thing, "each creature" means everyone, including allies and yourself if applicable. Fire Shroud says "each enemy" so it excludes allies.

Ally gets hit as well, but in some cases, totally worth it. We were rolling poorly first encounter of KotS and doing badly when at one point we realized it was worth dropping a scorching burst centered smack dab on the fighter, because the risk was worth it given that he was almost completely surrounded by little buggers wailing on him. As luck would have it, the roll missed him anyway (and took out three foes)! If the fighter is healthy enough to endure it, it can be a great tactic for him to take one for the team if his combat challenge abilities have caused a number of foes to stick to him.

Remove ads