• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

5E Arena of War - Chapter 1: In Character

sithramir

Villager
Chapter 1: Pushing Daisies

You awaken groggily. Looking around, you remember your accommodations and shiver. Comfortable but small, you are in what amounts to an Inn’s room but without windows and only one door, slightly ajar. Glancing at your room, it becomes clear that all of your items are still where they should be. There are sounds coming from outside and light in the hallway. On the small table lies ale and a plate of food, mostly dried meat and potatoes beneath a sconce which is magically lit. A bowl of clean water and a towel lies behind your food allowing you the ability to wash up.

A large gong sounds and the rustling from outside becomes greater. Clearly it is time to see your next steps into this horrid endeavour. Glancing out the door you see several others walking down the long hallway to an open antechamber with a higher ceiling which is dimly lit with the same magical sconces along the walls. The flooring is made of stone and there is a damp feel to the air, likely due to being underground. Looking up there is no actual ceiling but a darkness with dim lights. The “almost” star patterns you see are clearly magical but help take away the cramped feeling one might associate with these poor accommodations.

Chapter 1 Accomodations.PNG
View attachment 64517

OOC: This is where we'll begin once you have characters. Once we have them ready to go you can begin introductions and start asking questions and we can begin interaction for the next steps. The first portion of this is ready as soon as the PC's are completed.

Things you can do:

1) Persuasion (DC 10) will allow you to garner some general information from the other participants.

2) Peruse the weapons and armor racks.

3) Join a card game at one of the tables. Roll either perception (count the cards), deception (Bluff your opponents), sleight of hand (cheat don't get caught), or insight (figure out if other players are bluffing) at a DC 15. Success will you to garner information and potentially make an ally.

4) Join the throng gathered in front of the large double doors awaiting the next steps.
 

Phoenix8008

Villager
Cade and Silverback come padding out of their cell and into the common area. The halfling looks around with wary eyes and the wolf smells the floor here and there before hiking up a leg to piss on the wall so near someone that they're forced to scurry out of the way to avoid the splash. After that, when Cade makes a token effort to talk to someone for a little information, he finds that nobody will speak to him. One person even raises a fist towards the halfling like he's going to strike out, but he backs off quickly when Cade and Silverback both bare their teeth in a gutteral snarl.

[sblock=Persuasion check]1d20-1=0[/sblock]
[SBLOCK=LINKS]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?368106-Rogue-s-Gallery-Arena-of-War&p=6404455#post6404455[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Gourry02

Villager
Artyom exits his assigned room and moves to the double doors. He crosses his arms over his chest and looks on.
 

Shayuri

Villager
Valya opened her eyes with a start at the racket of the 'wakeup call,' and looked around her cell. It was not the cell of a prisoner. By Thayan standards, it was paradisiacal compared to such. But it was a cell that had harbored prisoners, and slaves, and foreigners and monsters. Even with her many mental gifts, Valya had lost count of how many times she’d reconsidered her plan, yearning for her quarters; for her own bed, her own room. It wasn’t that it was necessarily more luxurious, but that it was hers.

Her right hand strayed up to the tattoo on her forehead, a spiral with three-part radial symmetry, representing the Unity of Things, a pillar of transmutation theory and alchemy. Unlike many Red Wizards, she lacked the inscriptions of clan and family. Her noble pedigree had come from her elevation to wizard, earned by a peculiar combination of caution, recklessness, fortune and talent. Thay was not known for upward mobility, but it could be done. Laws and even traditions would be set aside for someone who gained power, and used it successfully.

Valya was a long way from done with that. As the daughter of servants, she’d leapt at opportunity despite the risks, and it had paid off. Now she meant to make that lightning strike again. It wasn’t enough to be a junior Red Wizard. Her voice was just one among many, and she had not earned more than a grudging, patronizing respect from any of them. Far too many viewed her as an aberration; a pest who had gamed the system. They had to be shown otherwise or it all meant nothing.

She splashed water on her face and rose to dress herself, grimacing as her fingers brushed over her scalp at one point. Her hair was starting to grow back. Just a fine fuzz right now, but she wouldn’t be allowed to shave it again until she won this. In here, she was not a Red Wizard. Just another gladiator. In theory at least. Valya suspected that, if she made issue of it, she could still get some good from her title. Of course many of the gladiators had cause to despise the Wizards of Thay, so it behooved her to exercise that option as seldom as necessity dictated.

Though Valya no longer had the splendid robes of her office, she still insisted on wearing red, even if it was little more than peasant rags now. She WAS a Red Wizard, no matter the wardrobe and she would wear a linen shift as a queen would wear her regalia, so long as it was red. On seeing the garment that had been provided, Valya had to laugh in fact. A sleeveless, knee-length dress; the clothing of a servant. But yes, it was red. A calculated insult, she thought, courtesy of one of the other Wizards. A reminder of her ‘true’ station.

It didn’t matter. Vengeance and vindication would come when she rose over her enemies. And if she failed, well then she’d be dead…and then she’d be quite beyond such concerns.
After some time studying her spellbook…she’d had a very bad moment when she thought it hadn’t been put into her room with her…Valya emerged into the cavernous common room, in her red maid’s dress, chin lifted and eyes flashing, as if daring someone to mock her. Aside from a few disinterested glances at the door as she entered, no one took her up on that challenge immediately. Being ignored was worse than being the object of hate or scorn, she reflected. It kindled a seething, impotent anger in her heart. It made her want to spill fire and rampage. And, of course, die. Horribly. The heart’s advice was so often the worst thing one could actually do. She paid it no mind. These people would know her soon enough.

Her eyes drifted over the other gladiators as she sifted through deductions as to who they were and why they were here. The power of magic was strong, but Valya knew that one Wizard on the field could be slain by a warrior of sufficient strength and tenacity. To win her way through this, she would need allies. Now was the time for a softer touch, a gentle word, and a sympathetic ear. It was not her strongest suit, but she had spent enough time with servants to know how to swallow her bile and smile sweetly when needed.

(Persuasion vs DC 10 to gain information) [roll0]

...unfortunately, the audience was less than receptive. Or perhaps the problem was Valya herself...she knew HOW to play the fool, but doing so here and now, among this rabble... It was simply too much. Her smiles were strained, her words insincere, and she walked away with nothing for her efforts. Which of course, only made her feel even angrier.
 
Last edited:

sithramir

Villager
The double doors are rusted metal. An open grated gate showing a 10' wide and 10' tall dark hallway. No sconces can be seen and only darkness is in the distance. The other doors are solid.

A small light can be seen with movement and the scuffling of large feet.

The doors begin to emit an awful grating noise as they slowly and magically begin to turn open.

A towering humanoid with huge bat wings and lurid flames dancing over its skin emerges. Dark red hues and a bestial face and horns, he wears a golden locket betwixt his horns which seems odd. Covered in fine silks he stands to his full height as he finishes his crouch through the hallway. He must stand nearly 12' tall.

The demon, for clearly he must be, spreads his wings wide shoving anyone near the doors back (DC 10 Dex to stay on your feet if nearby). He grins stupidly (DC 12 Arcana) and flexes his muscles stating "Beware foolish mortals for Temenon arrives".

Behind him a humanoid tiger garbed in expensive cloths steps from behind the large demon. His tiger's mane is shaved close to nearly bald-headedness giving him a more human appearance. A large pendant hangs from his neck and it is clear he is one of the foul Red Wizards of Thay.

OOC: (More to come but I am slammed). Feel free to interact or ask questions and i'll add more soon.
 
Last edited:

sithramir

Villager
Temenon speaks to the crowd of gladiators at the doors. His common is guttural and harsh sounding, creating a distinct accent created by his fangs and clearly non human vocal cords. His mannerisms and demeanor make it clear that he is quite intelligent.

"Welcome to my new temporary hell. I've paid good coin and called in several favors to acquire some of you to support my plans to become the new Zulkir. Welcome to the pit." Glancing at several of the larger of the group, the tiger continues, "Oh you thought one of you might have a chance to win this and become a ruler? Think again. You can't possibly have the skills or the WILL to survive what lays in store. But impress me and you may earn yourself a place as one of my lieutenants or perhaps just my court Jester."

Laughing with a fang filled grin, "Today is not an official game but will be used to test the mettle of some of my new collections."

He points at a large half-orc brute. "Drek, an accomplished gladiator in his own right. You will be tested today. Your back-field arena fights will be nothing in comparison to the horrors which you will soon face. Continue to succeed as you have for your previous owner or perish."

The Rakshasha points at a half-man riding a wolf, "Wolf boy will join you. We need some fodder." Seeing a female dressed in red he smiled even wider, "Valya? Is that you? Excellent. Speaking of fodder we might as well add you to the mix, eh?" Pointing to the man closest to him, another unarmored human who had stood at the doors with his arms crossed before the demon pushed him aside and then two others (a Dwarf in heavy armor and a monstrous axe, and and elf who had stood up from playing cards). He finishes, "You six will be tested. The point here will be to slay as man...goblins?. as you can. Do not fail. Succeed and I will reward you, but if you do fall, I WILL BRING YOU BACK AS MY UNDEAD SLAVES!"

The tiger man turns slowly and walks back the way he came. The demon looks at you in concern, "Time to die mortals. Please my master!" He turns sideways wrapping his wings about his person and points at the hallway. It seems it's time to test your mettle.

OOC: You have time to grab any gear you would want or need that you might not have had on you. You are told to walk to the middle of the Arena and prepare. This will mean you get one round before actual "initiative" begins. Please roll initiative.

I am going to set up PC slots and Monster slots. The first to respond will fill the slots in an attempt to allow combat to move a bit faster. Here is the Arena for this match:
Arena.jpg
 
Last edited:

Phoenix8008

Villager
Without a look at any of the others chosen, Cade hops up on Silverback's saddle eagerly and they trot into the arena. Cade had all the equipment he needed and was happy not to have to worry or wait any longer. Leaving his shield slung over his back (AC 15 w/o shield) he knocks an arrow to his shortbow and guides Silverback to a stop in the center of the field of battle. Swiveling his head around to see all the goblins in each of the corners, Cade smiles at the chance to kill more of the evil creatures. He slaps Silverback's neck with a few hard pats before turning his face upward and letting out a loud and long howl which the wolf joins in on as they prepare to battle again.

Initiative roll= 1d20+3=15
[sBLOCK=Cade & Silverback]Cade

Sex: Male
Race: Halfling
Class/Level: Ranger 4
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Size: Small
Type (Subtype): Humanoid (Halfling)
Init: +3
Senses: Normal
Passive Perception: 12

DEFENSE
AC: 15 without shield or 17 with shield
HP: 38
Saves: Strength & Dexterity
Special Defenses: Lucky (reroll 1's), Brave (Advantage vs. fear effects)

OFFENSE
Speed: 25ft
Melee:
-Rapier (Finesse) +5 Attack, 1d8+3 Piercing
-Dagger (Finesse, Light, Thrown-range 20/60) +5 ATK, 1d4+3 Piercing
Ranged:
-Shortbow (ammunition, range 80/320, two-handed) +7 ATK, 1d6+3 Piercing
-Dagger (Finesse, Light, Thrown-range 20/60) +7 ATK, 1d4+3 Piercing
-Sling (Ammunition, range 30/120) +7 ATK, 1d4+3 Bludgeoning
Special Attacks:
Spells: Attack +5 (Saving Throw DC: 13)
Spell Slots: (1st) 3
Spells Known: Cure Wounds (1st), Ensnaring Strike (1st), Hunters Mark (1st)

STATISTICS:
Str 13 (+1), Dex 16 (+3) +2 racial, Con 14 (+2), Int 9 (-1), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 9 (-1) +1 racial

Skills: (Proficient in bold)
Mod (Attribute) Name of Skill
+3 (dex) Acrobatics
+4 (wis) Animal Handling
-1 (int) Arcana
+3 (str) Athletics
-1 (cha) Deception
-1 (int) History
+2 (wis) Insight
-1 (cha) Intimidation
-1 (int) Investigation
+2 (wis) Medicine
+1 (int) Nature
+2 (wis) Perception
-1 (cha) Performance
-1 (cha) Persuasion
-1 (int) Religion
+3 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+5 (dex) Stealth
+4 (wis) Survival

Languages: Common, Halfling, Goblin, Orc

Lightfoot Halfling Traits:
-DEX +2
-Speed= 25ft
-Lucky (When I roll a 1 on ATK, Ability Check, or Save, I can reroll the die and must use the reroll)
-Brave (Have advantage on saves versus being frightened)
-Halfling Nimbleness (Can move thru space of any creature Medium or larger)
-CHA +1
-Naturally Stealthy (I can attempt to hide even when I am obscured only by a creature that is Medium sized or larger...like my Wolf!)

Ranger Traits:
-HD= d10
-Armor Profs (Light armor, Medium Armor, Shields)
-Weapon Profs (Simple and Martial weapons)
-Tool Profs (none)
-Saving Throw Profs (STR & DEX)
-Skill Profs (Animal Handling, Nature, Stealth)
-Starting Equipment
-Favored Enemies (Goblins & Orcs; learned Goblin language)
-Natural Explorer (Forest terrain)
-Fighting Style (Archery +2 ATK with any ranged weapons)
-Spellcasting (Base stat= WIS +2, Spell Save DC= 12, Spell ATK Bonus= +4)
-Beastmaster Archetype (Companion = Wolf, SEE BELOW)
-Primeval Awareness
-Ability Score Improvement --> took Mounted Combat Feat instead
--Mounted Combat- Advantage on melee ATK rolls vs. any unmounted creatures smaller than my mount; I can force an attack targeting my mount to target me instead; If mount needs to make DEX save for half damage, it takes no damage if it makes the save and half damage if it fails.

Background (Outlander) Traits:
-Skill Proficiencies (Athletics, Survival)
-Tool Proficiency (Pan Flute)
-Language (one additional of my choice= Orc)
-Equipment
-Origin: Hunter-Gatherer
-Feature: Wanderer (Good memory for maps and geography. Can find food & water for self +5 others each day if available in wilderness)
-Personality Traits: I am rude and uncivilized because I was, in fact, raised by wolves.
-Ideal: Change: Life changes like the seasons, and we must change with it.
-Bond: My wolf pack is the most important thing in my life, even when they're far away.
-Flaw: Don't expect me to save those who can't save themselves. It is natures way that the strong thrive and the weak perish.


Combat Gear:
Studded Leather Armor
Shield
Shortbow & 40 arrows
Sling & 40 stones
Daggers x6
Rapier
Quarterstaff

Other Gear:
Traveler's clothes
Pan Flute
Hunting Trap
Eagle Skull Necklace
Military Saddle for Wolf
Belt pouch
50' silk rope
backpack
bedroll
mess kit
tinderbox
10 torches
10 days of rations
waterskin

Money: 277 gp, 11 cp

Weight Carried: xx lbs
Carrying Capacity: 185 lbs
Push/Drag/Lift: 370 lbs

Silverback (Wolf Companion):
Medium Beast
AC: 15 (natural armor)
HP: 18
Speed: 40ft
Stats: STR 12(+1), DEX 15(+2), CON 12(+1), INT 3(-4), WIS 12(+1), CHA 6(-2)
Skills: Perception +5, Stealth +6
Senses: Passive Perception 15
Languages: -
Challenge: 1/4 (50 XP)
Keen Hearing & Smell (Silverback has advantage on WIS(Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell)
Pack Tactics: Silverback has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the wolf's allies is within 5 ft of the creature and isn't incapacitated (including Cade in the saddle while riding Silverback!)
Actions: Bite (Melee Weapon Attack): +6 ATK, reach 5ft, one target takes 2d4+4 piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone (prone creature can only crawl or stand up, has disadvantage on ATK rolls, and grants attackers within 5ft advantage on their ATKs, but attackers further away have disadvantage).
-These stats include the Prof Bonus of +2 added to AC, ATKS & DMG, Saves, Skills it's Prof with, and added HPS.
-Silverback acts on Cade's turn in Initiative. Silverback uses its own Move actions, but Cade has to use his own Action to allow Silverback to use one of the following actions: Attack, Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or Help.

Physical Appearance: A long haired dirty halfling that doesn't talk much.
View attachment 64518

Backstory: His parents died in a goblinoid attack in the forest after hiding him in some bushes. He was old enough to walk and talk, but still just a young child. After the battle was over that the goblinoids left the area without discovering him, and he was later found by some wolves who took him back to their pack and ended up raising him. He eventually found civilization again later and better learned the languages of men and halflings in order to barter for needed supplies (like clothing and better weapons and armor). He never thought of deserting his family though, until the leader of the pack got caught by bad men and taken away. Cade and his brother Silverback followed the trail and had the chance to trade themselves for the packleader to be used in whatever an 'arena battle' is...
[/sBLOCK]
 

Shayuri

Villager
Valya gave the rakshasa a wry look, but didn't talk back. Times and places. Ideally a time and a place when his Dominated Pit Fiend wasn't handy.

(Arcana on the demon vs DC 12: [roll0])

She took her place, barely sparing a glance for the other warriors chosen to endure this trial with her. If they survived this, they might be worth her time. It was far too soon, and the odds of survival too low, to spend precious moments socializing with people who were likely to die soon.

Valya cast a simple protective ward to start with and produced her fine crystal orb; a spellcasting focus provided by the wizard who had sponsored her claim. Now deceased. Tam's rise to power had not spared the mighty any more than it had the powerless.

A spark of light flared at the heart of the orb, and Valya raised a hand to make it ready for spellcasting. "Come to me," she said to the goblins in a hard voice. "Who will be the first to burn?"

(Casting Mage Armor, then init! [roll1])
 

Gourry02

Villager
Artyom nods his head, returns to his cell to retrieve the quarterstaff he'd left beside his blanket on the floor. As he approaches the middle of the arena he whirls the staff around his body a few times. The staff spins so quickly at times it is invisible to the naked eye.

Striding over to his newly acquired compainions Artyom brings his quarterstaff to a stop. He runs a hand through the light brown fuzz that covers his scalp, not quite used to the texture. The monk takes up a position with the others. Artyom blows out a breath then readies himself.

/roll 1d20+4

(OOC) edit: It doesnt seem like I have access to the add dice roll thingy :(
 
Last edited:

sithramir

Villager
Just roll another way and put the result in.

Also a 13 passive perception will inform you they are not all alive. If you fail you can roll when close (assuming someone doesnt mention it)
 

sithramir

Villager
Initiative Order: Round 1

PC: Valya
PC: Artyom
NPC Slot
PC: Cade
NPC Slot
PC: Drek
NPC Slot

Both PC's can act first.
 

Gourry02

Villager
Artyom dashes to m-4 and strikes at the goblin next to him with his quarterstaff.

To attack- 1d20+6: 15
For damage- 1d8+4: 6 (versatile)
 

Shayuri

Villager
Valya strides forward, and casts a spell, hoping to cow the goblins at least a little. Brilliant tongues of flame lash out from her orb, drawing searing lines across the goblins in the front ranks!

(Move to I 7 and cast Scorching Ray. Target is at L2, then K1 if I can kill L2 before the rays are used up)
Ray 1: [roll0] for [roll1]
Ray2: [roll2] for [roll3]
Ray3: [roll4] for [roll5]
 

sithramir

Villager
Valya strides forward, and casts a spell, hoping to cow the goblins at least a little. Brilliant tongues of flame lash out from her orb, drawing searing lines across the goblins in the front ranks!

(Move to I 7 and cast Scorching Ray. Target is at L2, then K1 if I can kill L2 before the rays are used up)
Ray 1: [roll0] for [roll1]
Ray2: [roll2] for [roll3]
Ray3: [roll4] for [roll5]
Rolls didn't work. Need that and damage
 

Shayuri

Villager
That is weird. I see the roll results on my post. Let me try to copy/paste.

Annnnd nope. Okay, I'll roll with InvisCastle when I get a chance.
 

Advertisement

Top