Arrrh! Need Razorvine

jester47

First Post
Does anyone have a conversion for razorvine from PS? I need some stats. I am in seattle and all my PS stuff is in Texas. I was wondering about the stats. Has anyone converted this? If anyone wants to give me a write up of the original stats I will pull a conversion...

Aaron.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Always glad to help a fellow PS fan. The razorvine ain't much of a monster, so I guess it would be classified as a hazard in 3E. Doing a rough conversion, it would be a Large, plant hazard (12 ft-20 ft in diameter) AC 15 (-5 for no Dex, -1 for size, +11 natural), and say maybe 7 or 8 hp per vine with a Con of 14 or so. Razorvine only takes damage from slashing weapons, not blunt or piercing weapons. Those with slashing weapons without reach trying to cut the vine must make a Reflex save (Say 12 or 13) or take 1d4+ the sod's base AC as the razorvine instinctively lashes out cutting the victim with its sharp thorns and barbs. For this purpose, the victim's base AC is detirmined by his AC modified by armor, deflection and natural AC bonuses, but not Dexterity, shield or other adjustments that don't cover the whole body. Climbing, grabbing or otherwise touching the vine provokes the same reaction, but only for 1d3+base AC. Somebody stupid enough to fall in the stuff takes 1d6+base AC damage with no save allowed. The razorvine is also immune to non-magical fire and most "naturally" occurring environmental effects on the planes.

Last edited:

jester47

First Post
Thanks, got some questions though.

why the 1d4 or 1d3 + AC? for the damage. It has been a while since I have looked at it. I do not remember all of its properties.

Thanks.

A

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Whoops. I forgot that the better AC in 3E is higher, not lower. In Second Edition it was the lower AC was better. In Second Edition, I guess you added the base AC because supposedly, the more armor (thus the lower AC you had) you had on you the better protected you were against the stinging barbs. There is probably no good way to duplicate the effect in 2E without doing a long series of absurd calculations, so instead maybe a person could add the points the Reflex Save was failed by to simulate how badly a person botched the Reflex save instead. Gish Makai, you probably have a better conversion, how did you handle it?

Gish Makai

First Post
Well I converted it as a creature but that was before I found out about the hazards in the DMG. If you want I can post it for you to look at.

rhammer2

First Post
Damage should be more like 1d3 + 10 - AC.

jester47 said:
Thanks, got some questions though.

why the 1d4 or 1d3 + AC? for the damage. It has been a while since I have looked at it. I do not remember all of its properties.

Thanks.

A

jester47

First Post
I see. I think a decent way to do it is [dice + 20 - AC(flat footed)]

Gish, your conversion sounds interesting. Where can we find it?

Aaron

Remove ads