D&D 5E Art and Arcana: A visual History just arrived!

"433-page book" It's a really THICK book, great value - great use of Amazon voucher B'day present from the in laws :) Heartily recommend to anyone, esp those who (like me) spent hours just looking at the art on books I had, and books I never could afford. The history is very good, and a different slant from the excellent 'Designers & Dragons' and 'Playing at the World'

Last edited:

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Well I'm not going to try to calculate that, but it isn't until page 279 of the 433-page book that it starts getting in to WoTC stuff. I was very happy that a great portion of this tome was not only on TSR but on the early ODD and AD&D 1e art of the 70s and 80s. But it was also interesting for me to see the 3e and 4e stuff, which I missed entirely in my time away from RPGs.

This is a comprehensive work. Fans of all editions should be pleased. For me it allowed me to bathe in nostalgia while also getting me excited by the future. I can't recommend this book enough.

Thanks; that's exactly what I wanted to know. The thing that has me most interested is the early art up through, say 1981. I've got a complete collection of the D&D artbooks that came out in the 80's and 90's, which cover only the art from about 82 on--sadly. I'm not really interested in the WOTC era material, for various reasons.

So it's good that such a large portion is dedicated to the era of D&D art that hasn't really been covered in published form in the past.

Remove ads