• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Art of the Peel

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

It's not just intelligence, it's experience.
If there's a monster that has a level 4 version, and is a level 15 version, they would have learned along the way what's a threat.
I.e. concentrated fire on the wizard first, and make sure he's dead dead rather than unconscious.

If anyone asks, yes I played 3e that way too.
I was a mage player who considers a DM crap if intelligent foes don't attempt to annihilate me first.

We did the same thing in 3E.

Not so much 4E. As someone else stated, there isn't a reason for doing this to the wizard. They aren't boss damage dealers anymore. They aren't even as good as strikers. Heck, I'm not even sure they are as good as clerics.

amysrevenge

First Post
It's not just intelligence, it's experience.
If there's a monster that has a level 4 version, and is a level 15 version, they would have learned along the way what's a threat.

Not so sure about that. Monsters and PCs are not the same - there's no reason to expect that the higher level version of a monster got to level 15 by adventuring and gaining experience (or being "adventured upon" and defeating adventuring parties for XP).

Remove ads