• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Artificer (Alchemist) Help

I am writing up a Gnome Artificer (Alchemist) for an upcoming campaign and ran into a question in search of an answer. Are Alchemists proficient with their alchemical creations? Do they get their proficiency bonus when throwing Alchemical Fire at a targrt?

The Gunsmith archetype clearly states that the Artificer is proficient with the thunder cannon but no similar statement for the Alchemist exists.

Opinions, options anyone?

Thanks-
-TC

MarkB

Legend
It doesn't matter. None of the thrown alchemical items require an attack roll - they all impact a location, and cause an area effect.

First, they don't all impact a location. Alchemists Acid specifically states that the target is a creature or object While Alchemists Fire says you can target a surface, it also clearly states you can target a object or creature as well.

Second, why wouldn't you need an attack roll for thrown items, even if they do have an area effect? A Wizard doesn't just throw out a fireball and hope it centers where he wants it to. He aims it to prevent collateral damage. Spellcasters are proficient with their spells, why isn't the Artificer proficient with his ranged weapons?

-TC

MarkB

Legend
First, they don't all impact a location. Alchemists Acid specifically states that the target is a creature or object While Alchemists Fire says you can target a surface, it also clearly states you can target a object or creature as well.

Surface, object or creature, it's still just a location. You don't have to roll to hit because it's not a pinpoint weapon - it bursts and affects an area.

Second, why wouldn't you need an attack roll for thrown items, even if they do have an area effect? A Wizard doesn't just throw out a fireball and hope it centers where he wants it to. He aims it to prevent collateral damage. Spellcasters are proficient with their spells, why isn't the Artificer proficient with his ranged weapons?

-TC
A wizard does not need to make an attack roll when he casts fireball. An alchemist artificer does not need to make an attack roll to land his concoction. There is literally nothing in the subclass that proficiency would apply to.

futrtrubl

Explorer
Well profficiency does apply, but it's in the DC of the save against it. 8 + Prof bonus + int mod

If you look at base spells, most require either a spell attack roll OR a save roll from the target.

One thing I find odd for alchemical satchel things is that it's an all or nothing save, no half damage on a save.

maxed

Explorer
Alchemical Fire. As an action, you can reach into your Alchemist’s Satchel, pull out a vial of volatile liquid, and hurl the vial at a creature, object, or surface within 30 feet of you...the vial detonates in a 5-foot radius. Any creature in that area must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 fire damage.

Alchemical Acid. As an action, you can reach into your Alchemist’s Satchel, pull out a vial of acid, and hurl the vial at a creature or object within 30 feet of you...A creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 acid damage. An object automatically takes that damage, and the damage is maximized.

OK, let me see if I got this straight. The Artificer (Alchemist) automatically hits the surface, object or creature he targets with the alchemical concotion but then imposes an all or nothing Dex save for damage?

Seems weird to me, but ok.
-TC

maxed

Explorer
OK, let me see if I got this straight. The Artificer (Alchemist) automatically hits the surface, object or creature he targets with the alchemical concotion but then imposes an all or nothing Dex save for damage?

Seems weird to me, but ok.
-TC

Correct. Similar to a fireball or other area effect spell. And the damage is on the low end for the Artificer items when compared to a wizard AoE spell.

Xeviat

Hero
Correct. Similar to a fireball or other area effect spell. And the damage is on the low end for the Artificer items when compared to a wizard AoE spell.

But on the high end compared to a wizard cantrip. And one is AoE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads