• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artistic Conundrum

Khaalis

Adventurer
(also posted in the art section, but it gets very little traffic)

I have been tasked with coming up with a symbol for an organization in a homebrew world that is in the process of creation. The organization is called "The Velvet Shadow" - a thieves' guild. This is no ordinary fantasy thieves' guild however. It is vastly large, ranging over an entire kingdom that is the size of NY state. It is tiered and modeled losely on mafia-like structure and is a very powerful political faction as well as a typical thieves' guild, and are also the primary source of espionage in the kingdom as well.

However, the real problem is that I am drawing a complete balnk on what would kind of symbol would represent the Velvet Shadow. I would love to ask all those out there, to give it a moments thought and let me know what comes to mind as a symbolic representation for the guild. However, keep in mind that I am only an amatuer artist, so ideas such as Velvet mask on a gold coin stabbed through with a dagger or somesuch is way out of my league. ;)

So far, the only thing I have come up with as the attached "shadow 3.gif".

If any of of you would like to toss some ideas this way, It would be greatly appeciated.

Attachments

• shadow 3.bmp
    38 KB · Views: 92

Goblyns Hoard

First Post
What's the purpose of the symbol - something for members to identify each other by (but not the authorities), something to strike fear into their victims, something to hang on the wall of the guildhouse, or just 'because they need an insignia'.

Depending on the answer to that you'll have to think about what you want quite differently. A secret ID symbol will need to be very subtle, while something to sit on the guild house wall should be opulent and decorative.

No suggestions at the moment though

Khaalis

Adventurer
Goblyns Hoard said:
What's the purpose of the symbol - something for members to identify each other by (but not the authorities), something to strike fear into their victims, something to hang on the wall of the guildhouse, or just 'because they need an insignia'.

Depending on the answer to that you'll have to think about what you want quite differently. A secret ID symbol will need to be very subtle, while something to sit on the guild house wall should be opulent and decorative.

No suggestions at the moment though

Currently, for ID, they use a small tattoo that uses a special alchemical ink that disappears after application, but can be revealed (to indicate membership) by the application of an acidic liquid (invisible ink basically). The symbol is what they leave behind as a "calling card" either as warning or as a signature saying "we did this". It would likely have a more elaborate version of the same symbol for use in their safehouses and guildhalls.

Thanks for the clarification questions.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Khaalis, I'd just use that symbol you've drawn, but as of personal taste, I'd use it from the top down (with the simple line at the vertical, and the V on the top, so a quarter of a turn, clockwise, based on the original piece of your post). This I can see etched or daggers and tattooed on arms and cheeks.

Symbols don't have to be complicated. If anything, symbols ought to be simple, and I think your piece fits the bill quite nicely.

Miln

Explorer
I think the one you came up with is perfect. Especially since you want it for a tattoo (among other things).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads