As it turns out, hiding requires cover.

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Your typical stealthy PC thinks that hiding every round in every terrain is viable. Meanwhile, your average GM is sitting there like, “No, you can’t hide behind the halfling.” In scenarios where there isn't clearly marked terrain, how do you decide if there's enough cover to hide behind? The question goes double for groups that play without a battle map in theater of the mind style.

Comic for illustrative purposes.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The other day I tried to hide behind my partner (she's 5'5" and I'm 6'3") from her 4 year old. And I have all my points put into stealth. Still didn't work ;) I was spotted straight away

If only I had the skulker feat...

5ekyu

Hero
Your typical stealthy PC thinks that hiding every round in every terrain is viable. Meanwhile, your average GM is sitting there like, “No, you can’t hide behind the halfling.” In scenarios where there isn't clearly marked terrain, how do you decide if there's enough cover to hide behind? The question goes double for groups that play without a battle map in theater of the mind style.

Comic for illustrative purposes.
Ok so a non-system ToM answer might be one of these, dependong on style of play. They key on descriptions.

1 Player choice - in these styles of play, the GM goes with "say yes unless there is compelling reason to say no" and so when a player asks about hiding or tries to hide then the GM defaults to yes unless something about the scene as described already says otherwise. Alk that needs to be added is the narrative of an item or scene detail to fit the outcome. Here the onus of "no" is on the gm, who must provide a clear reason why not to allow the attempt - preferably before the isdue comes up. "On approach, you can tell the area has been cleared up to the walls - providing clear line of fire."

2. Gm sets it up. Here, the GM in describong the original scene makes it clear what elements are suitable for hiding, if any, maybe by keywords. Really, herenthe onus of "yes" falls to the player to show how its possible.

3. Roll then narrate. Here the unspecified details of the scene get determined by the result. If the roll was successful, clearly there was something there.

Any can work. All just differet styles.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Do what makes sense in the fiction and fits with the rules. If the rules generate unintuitive results, they’re probably wrong/broken. (In how many games do people actually run stealth as written?)

In Pathfinder 2e, creatures (unless two or more sizes larger than you) count as lesser cover, which is not sufficient to Hide. Otherwise, if it’s something the PC can reasonably huddle behind or in, then it’s probably sufficient to Hide. Additionally, Hide has the secret trait, so the GM makes the roll and describes the result. It eliminates metagaming, and it gives you an out if the terrain isn’t reasonable —the PC never becomes hidden (remaining observed).

ronaldsf

Explorer
Do what makes sense in the fiction and fits with the rules. If the rules generate unintuitive results, they’re probably wrong/broken. (In how many games do people actually run stealth as written?)

In Pathfinder 2e, creatures (unless two or more sizes larger than you) count as lesser cover, which is not sufficient to Hide. Otherwise, if it’s something the PC can reasonably huddle behind or in, then it’s probably sufficient to Hide. Additionally, Hide has the secret trait, so the GM makes the roll and describes the result. It eliminates metagaming, and it gives you an out if the terrain isn’t reasonable —the PC never becomes hidden (remaining observed).

Actually in 2e someone behind another creature is "screened." Perhaps this is why a different word is used, to limit the ability to hide behind someone?

I would allow a player to attempt to hide in any terrain, but I might grant the enemies a bonus to spotting intruders if the terrain is hard to hide in. The key is to inform the players of this increased difficulty before they attempt to use their stealth. To me, stealth is not just about having cover and being out of sight, but also about moving when enemies are looking the other way. There are many ways to pass enemies unnoticed.

If however the player is trying to sneak into a room that is being closely watched by guards, I might inform my players that they need to do more to enter the room unnoticed, such as putting on a disguise, extinguishing a light source or distracting a guard. I would add an extra challenge to do this, but I will always inform my players up front that this is the requirement, so that I don't spring a sudden extra check on them.

Remove ads