As of N.O.W. the O.L.D. and N.E.W. playtest documents are P.U.B.L.I.C.!

This will get my dirty dollar waaaayyyyyy before D&D 5 does. Huzzah!

This will get my dirty dollar waaaayyyyyy before D&D 5 does. Huzzah!

Ulrik

First Post
I'm not sure I'll ever play O.L.D. (it looks great - but I love 4e), but...

Risur is mentioned as a possible campaign setting for O.L.D. Is that just a throwaway reference, or are there any kind of plans, vague or otherwise, for doing something for Zeitgeist with O.L.D.?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Risur is mentioned as a possible campaign setting for O.L.D. Is that just a throwaway reference, or are there any kind of plans, vague or otherwise, for doing something for Zeitgeist with O.L.D.?

That and War of the Burning Sky, both.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In complete ignorance - I've only just heard of this system - why would I use it when the Hero system exists, and I've never encountered a setting I couldn't run in that system? I'm not a Hero system fan-boy (well, ok...I AM, but...), I just don't have the time to invest in a new system if it isn't offering me something above what's already out there.

Any thoughts?

As an extra thought, someone who's read it summarized this well to me in the context if comparing it to a different game: "...As an additional note, I'd say that while I love GURPS and recognize that it is an excellent game, it is a generic system ...your game devotes loving attention to two specific genres, with the express intention of allowing fantasy and science fiction to be combined. Making two complete and detailed genre-emulating games that are also designed to work with each other is a different task than creating one generic universal system which can be applied to anything."

I'd add that I won't compare it qualitatively to other games. That's not appropriate, and is very subjective. But re. Hero, it is not as mathematical (though it is by no means rules light - it's crunchy). Hero has that top end super detail niche covered very well.

With these two games, each covers it's genre in detail. Crafting systems to brew options using various ingredients, assemble starships from various components, build a stronghold and develop it over years, and so on. Lots of focus on setting design and player (PC) crafting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads