D&D General As old as D&D

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
Wow…very similar timeline!

The neighbor kid was older and started me in isle of dread…
Happy 50th! The neighbor kid took me through a proto-LARP version of the game with a DM NPC based on Hopalong Cassidy who sort of acted like a guide (a bit like the "Dungeon Master" in the later cartoon show except he had six guns). I recall having to overcome a troll and knocking it in a pool filled with acid to destroy it. My character was a fighter named Zunkuss Balis, which was based on the name of one of the bounty hunters from Empire Strikes Back (Zuckuss), which had come out that year. From there I graduated to the Moldvay D&D box set and -- not too long thereafter -- to AD&D.

sunrisekid

Explorer
I am also turning 50 this year. Had not made the connection either. My first game session was in 1985 and that started me on a life-long path enjoying the game, to greater and lesser frequency of play over the years. I have misgivings about the direction of the upcoming edition but I will buy it regardless, possibly as my last purchase of the game.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I am also turning 50 this year. Had not made the connection either. My first game session was in 1985 and that started me on a life-long path enjoying the game, to greater and lesser frequency of play over the years. I have misgivings about the direction of the upcoming edition but I will buy it regardless, possibly as my last purchase of the game.
It has been a waxing and waning thing for me in the past—due to life.

Introduced to the game in childhood. Played like mad through high school. College and unhinged girlfriend…decrease but still there.

College still played but beer and books got in the way. Moved away for grad school. Home for summer played all nighters!

Away for a different grad school…barely survived…3rd edition comes out. Start playing that because it seems so different…during another summer home

Engaged, married career…kids! fades into background…

Play boardgames…even solo. Long D&D drought…

5e comes out. Kids big enough for me to leave with their mom…in exchange for her getting solo shopping time! Life is give and take! I start making terrain to satiate my need for D&D stuff between games…

Now play monthly with the friends I grew up with…2 different groups. Started a campaign with my kids…they like it! Between the three average a session every 2-3 weeks?

The story for me is D&D is always there or just around the corner…for my whole life really. Even when I lost hope about it not returning, it did. Aging sucks but not so bad with friends and a d20. I do fear a day when I can’t play or desire to play due to being to ancient…until then, my blade is ready!

I have for all practical purposes skipped some editions (notably 2e, 3.5, 4e). I will see what happens with 5.5 as I too have concerns. I bet I buy some of it anyway and incorporate a relatively small portion.

Remove ads