As the party travels through the wilderness...

SgtHulka

First Post
Like Melan, I force the characters to actually travel. Because I use Wilderlands of High Fantasy, it generally goes something like this:

Me: "You have been told that the town of Beacon is 30 miles due South, on the Coast."
Group: "Well let's get going, I want to put as much distance between us and that posse as possible!"
Me: "It is currently 8 pm, would you like to travel through the night?"
Group: "Yes!"
Me: "Torches or no torches? Torches will double your chance of an encounter, since beasties are drawn to the light. No torches will halve your speed, since many of your group don't have low-light or darkvision."
Group: "We will risk torches."
Me: "Very well." (Roll for the first four hours on the Mother of All Encounter Tables, no encounter...roll four times for getting lost...not lost) "As you leave the cultivated bean fields of Cloven behind you, you begin to ascend into broken, rugged hills scarred by the recent hurricane. A thin moon rises, barely illuminating the muddy gulleys that you are using as make-shift trails. You keep your ears sharp and your speech to a minimum, and see nothing in the dim light behind you. As far as you can tell, no one is pursuing you. It is now midnight. You have travelled a total of four miles, and you reckon yourselves to be in hex 3113. (I show the "Player's Map" -- a mostly blank hex sheet with a coastline that conforms to the GM map, created by Melan no less, and the Players are free to draw in "rugged hills" on hex 3113...I also allow them to see the hexes around them...jungle to the northeast and southwest, and plains to the south) "Would you like to make camp or continue?"
Group: "We continue. We don't trust that Lammasu. We think he knows we're evil."
Me: "Very well." (Roll for the next four hours on Mother of All Encounter Tables. The result is 12 wolves. Roll a d4 to determine which hour the encounter takes place in. The result is 3. Roll three times for getting lost. They get lost on first hour. Roll d6 for random direction, it's to the southeast, toward the coast). "As you continue to huff and puff through the gulleys and peaks of this vertical terrain, the moon slowly sinks into the horizon, leaving a sky spotted with sparkling stars and mottled with dark clouds. Give me spot checks." (Compare the wolves' hide with the spot to determine encounter distance) "But after a few hours you can see that the terrain levels out ahead. That realization puts an extra spring in your step as you push forward at a heightened pace. And then you suddenly halt, for you notice several pairs of yellow eyes ahead, blocking your path. Turning a circle, you see you have been steallthily surrounded by wolves." (draw a square on the battle map and place the wolves at the correct distance around it) "Place your minis in the square and then roll for Initiative!" (resolve the battle, and then, afterward) "You hope that the wolf carcasses don't attract the attention of something higher on the food chain, and decide to push on even further. Indeed, the hills recede behind you, as expected, and you begin to smell salt in the air. You pause and listen. Yes, it's the sound of surf! It is now 4 am and you have moved another 4 miles. By your reckoning you are on northern edge of hex 3314." (show them the player's map)
Player 1: "Wait a second, that's a good four miles from the coast at least. We shouldn't be able to hear the surf from here."
Player 2: "Oh, crap, we're lost again!"

And so forth.

Wik

First Post
Yeah, that seems too rulesy for me, Hulka lad.

I do like the theme of random encounters during travel - it really captures that "Feel" to the old fantasy novels. In fact, back in the day, I was an "encounter table GM" - I'd create a very simple goal ("Go to X to kill Y") and the next four sessions would be me riffing off the various random rolls made.

We've had campaigns that soon became involved in Grippli villages, Dark Sun games where the Players wound up trying to evade a slave tribe and defiler elves, and a particularly fun game against an orc warband.

Nowadays, I'm more of a "by the book" guy that doesn't buy into random encounters as much - but I still throw in a table or two to use if need be.

Travel is a great way for me to show off the world I've built up... I'm gonna jump at the chance to show it off.

Melan

Explorer
SgtHulka: I like the way you think; especially the implied "random (and occasionally evil) nobodies trying to make a living in a hostile world" vibe. :D Our current party is full of these never-do-wells, and it's a blast.

Herpes Cineplex

First Post
I'm firmly in the "if there's no important reason for focusing on the travel itself, don't bother" camp, both as a player and as a (very) occasional GM. That stuff is so incredibly boring to me that I welcome the opportunity to elide it.

Typically, what we'd see in our games is a "how long will it take to get there?" discussion lasting about a minute and a half, followed by maybe one or two encounters that happen on the way if there's something fun about them to make 'em worthwhile (cool area-specific monsters, plot-related stuff, etc.), and everything else gets condensed into "four days later, you're at the gates..."

And I wouldn't have it any other way. We're getting maybe three, four hours' worth of gameplay per session now that we're all older and have other responsibilities, and the more fun gaming we can fit into that time, the better. The whole idea of wasting several hours of real-life time depicting the tedious, moment-to-moment movement between the good parts of the game just seems totally insane.

--
i wasn't even that big a fan of it when i was a teenager with loads of time to waste on stuff like that
ryan

Melan

Explorer
That comes from the assumption, however, that wilderness travel should inherently be a humdrum, boring excercise. I obviously (and strongly) disagree.

Remove ads