D&D General Ascomoids, Basidironds and Phycomids ... corrupted spore minions

Mortal Arrow

Explorer
Back in the early 80's I remember the long, long wait between the release of The Village of Hommlet and Gygax's opus module -- Temple of Elemental Evil. By the time it came out, I had already started my long sabbatical from actually playing. But that didn't stop me from picking it up and reading cover-to-cover. I loved that the Demon Queen of Fungi came from left field, but was a little underwhelmed by her minions. I got to talking with my current D&D group about what monster type would be fun to rewrite into a set of creatures we'd enjoy running with our own group. We settled on monstrous fungoids, and after a little research, found lots of possibilities. Here's the list of re-imagined mushroom minions of Zuggtmoy :
Ascomoids
Basidironds
Gas Spores
Phantom Fungus
Phycomids
Ustilagor
We also created a few new ones like:
Rhyzonids
Carnivorous Mushrooms
Corrupted Myconids

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Those Basidironds are beautiful, Ima feelin‘ the need to grab some pasta and plumb the depths of the sewer pipes

I really like those.

Although I do think its important to also mention the possibility of there also being fungi that are not corrupted by zuggtmoy.
Like a version of PCs of fungi. Zuggtmoy hates them because they are not under her influence, and they hate Zuggtmoy because she wants them under her influence. Hence the Mushroom Wars.
Zuggtmoy and the evil Myconids and Spores vs the free Myconids and spores.

Mortal Arrow

Explorer
I really like those.

Although I do think its important to also mention the possibility of there also being fungi that are not corrupted by zuggtmoy.
Like a version of PCs of fungi. Zuggtmoy hates them because they are not under her influence, and they hate Zuggtmoy because she wants them under her influence. Hence the Mushroom Wars.
Zuggtmoy and the evil Myconids and Spores vs the free Myconids and spores.

We've had fun working on these! I like your comment about the PC Fungi. We had a similar thought and actually have those in the works. Here is the concept artwork.
Heroes vs Villians.png

Mortal Arrow

Explorer
It is true - there are so many options with these Mushroom Folk. Here's our latest concept art for some Kickstarter stretch rewards. More light-hearted and fun.
Myconid Chibi.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads