Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer [Wizards Boards Version - Started Jan 17, 2006 and Most Recent Post is from Aug 27, 2013] (Surreal)

Endarire

First Post
NOTE: This thread could not be posted in its entirety due to it being 394 pages (at about 110 posts per page) and a total of 15,740 posts (including the original post).

Originally posted by surreal:

The purpose of this thread is to serve as a catch-all for minor questions or mundane rules queries that don't really warrant a new thread here at the CharOp boards (and thus in a way, hopefully reduce the clutter of redundant threads on the board). If you have a more detailed question about a character build or certain rulesets, etc, then I suggest posting a new thread in the appropriate forum to get a more proper response.

All newcomers and regulars alike are welcome to ask questions, and I encourage all the CO residents to do their best to answer them (because you have to admit, we're all pretty much the resident rule monkeys here at the D&D boards). For those anwering questions, maybe quote the question (or number) so it's easier to follow.

edit: quick posting guidelines, just to make reading the thread easier

When asking a question, preface it with a Q## where ## is the next number according to whatever the last question was.

When answering a question, preface it was A##, which obviously corresponds to the appropriate question you're answering.

edit: Thanks to Lilt for this addendum:
Lilt;12411599 wrote:Q0: I have a question. Should I post it here?

A0: Whilst people will generally try and respond to questions posted here ASAP, you might be able to answer your question yourself if you know where to look. There are a few places that anyone could be advised to look before before posting a question here, and looking there yourself might save you the hour or so that generally passes before people answer questions here:

Note that many of us optimisers look here for the answers to many of your questions. Unless we happen to know the answer off by heart, posting the question here rather than looking there yourself might just mean you have to wait another few hours before you have the answer to your question. That's not very optimal, is it?
That said, I guess I'll start off with a bunch of random questions: (yeah I'm seeding, but a few are serious)

Q1 - Where can I find a list of all the methods to get pounce (or other full attack options at the end of a charge)?

Q2 - What is this "King of Smack" or "Punpun" that I keep reading about?

Q3 - Where are the references for increased weapon damage due to increased size? (other than in the PHB) especially when getting into collosal and beyond

Q4 - After which date are published books considered 3.5?

Q5 - is there a list of abbreviations somewhere?

Q6 - Can a spellstiched creature (Complete Arcane) be imbued with a spell that has a metamagic feat applied to it? (accounting for the change in spell level)

Q7 - I think we CO residents need some sort of informal designation... the ResidentRuleMonkeys (RRMs)? the coptimizers? COppers? :D
plotting.gif

edit: with numbers

(reserved in case I need it)

Originally posted by lordofprocrasti...:

I think we CO residents need some sort of informal designation
Hmmm.

• Optimasters
  • By COR! (Character Optimization Regulars)
  • Optimeisters
  • The Irregular Regulars
  • Dirty Tricksters (DT's)
  • Etc etc.

Originally posted by dog45:

1 - Full Attack on Charge - Single Post / Full Thread

2 - Pun Pun / King of Smack

3 - DMG pg 28 / Savage Species pg 43 / Sword and Fist pg 62 / Magic of Faerun pg 179 (Heavy Weapons)

4 - I dunno

5 - Prestige Class Index and Book Abbreviations / Feat Index and Book Abbreviations / Character Class Index and Book Abbreviations / Spell Index and Book Abbreviations

6 - I dunno

7 - Rule Mongers, maybe?

Originally posted by seeker_of_truth_02:

One abreviation I don't know but see from time to time is CoD ... from context I've gathered that this is some sort of Divine Metamagic Persistant cleric build ... but other than "Cleric of DOOOOOOM!" I can't think what CoD stands for.

One abreviation I don't know but see from time to time is CoD ... from context I've gathered that this is some sort of Divine Metamagic Persistant cleric build ... but other than "Cleric of DOOOOOOM!" I can't think what CoD stands for.
CoD stands for Cleric or Druid. I can't find the exact thread this was stated on, but here's a short quote from RadicalTaoist.

"...the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions."

Originally posted by quenditar:

Surreal - 6 - It doesn't specifically say one way or the other, but the requirement of Craft Wondrous Item for Spellstitched and the line in the DMG "Using metamagic feats, a caster can place spells in items at a higher level than normal. For example, a caster could heighten a spell's level to increase its effectiveness, or quicken a spell to allow it to be used as a free action, placing it within an item at the higher metamagic level" (pp. 282-3) strongly imply that it can be done.

Seeker of Truth - it stands for Cleric or Druid. RadicalTaoist has an interesting quote on the subject.

My own simple question: where is a thread or two on basic tanking theory?

Originally posted by seeker_of_truth_02:

CoD stands for Cleric or Druid. I can't find the exact thread this was stated on, but here's a short quote from RadicalTaoist.

My own simple question: where is a thread or two on basic tanking theory?
Icon Role 1: Tank

Best tank PrC EVAR

The Masochist (hit me please)

Also, all these threads linked from The Optimization Library

Originally posted by quenditar:

Thanks.

Originally posted by zombiegleemax:

#7 - I think we CO residents need some sort of informal designation... the ResidentRuleMonkeys (RRMs)? the coptimizers? COppers? :D
plotting.gif

Not sure if anyone considers me part of the CO Cult, but I have frequented this board daily since my first login name (in 2002). Here are a few suggestions:

Regs (regulars)- simple, easy to remember. "He's one of the Regs."

Wizs- not to be confused with WIZOs, though this one might cause confusion.

Engineers- as in character engineers. "That guy/girl (can't leave out Snow) is a total engineer." This could be considered a huge compliment.

Techs- as in character technicians, consistent with the "optimizers can do it all" perception. Crunching numbers is technical.

Not sure if any of these have staying power, but as you read through this thread, say a few to yourself and submit a vote. It seems like up until now, just the term "Regular" has been thrown around a lot. Maybe thats the one.

Originally posted by kaiza:

#4 - After which date are published books considered 3.5?

#7 - I think we CO residents need some sort of informal designation... the ResidentRuleMonkeys (RRMs)? the coptimizers? COppers? :D
plotting.gif

4) Should be after June 2003, when the PHB 3.5 came out.

7) EpicYeahYeahs?

k.

#10 - Who or what is this "burp'louie" thing/person/diety that I've heard about? I'm guessing it's something from Dragon

#11 - Other than Master Thrower, is there a PrC that grants a stacking evasion or a straight up improved evasion without evasion as a prereq? (I'm almost positive there's at least one other)

Is Dwarf Paragon full BAB

I know its on d20.org but that site is blocked at work...

Is Dwarf Paragon full BAB?
yes

10 - Who or what is this "burp'louie" thing/person/diety that I've heard about? I'm guessing it's something from Dragon
As far as I remember, the name is Shaz Burp Louie, or something like that. He/She/It is a god, and the Dragon mag had a cleric PrC for he/she/it. Try your luck with the DragonDex

#11 - Other than Master Thrower, is there a PrC that grants a stacking evasion or a straight up improved evasion without evasion as a prereq? (I'm almost positive there's at least one other)
Dungeon Delver, from Complete Adventurer

As far as I remember, the name is Shaz Burp Louie, or something like that. He/She/It is a god, and the Dragon mag had a cleric PrC for he/she/it. Try your luck with the DragonDex
I think you mean Fraz-Urb'luu? :D I don't own the Dragon in question (Drg 333) but from the thread on the subject long ago, the PrC grants an ability, Alter Reality, which allows the character to turn illusions into reality. Again, as I do not own the magazine, the exact mechanics are unknown to me. Perhaps somebody would care to enlighten us?

Dragon 333, eh? Got that right here.

Hmmm.

Yeah, it is spelled Fraz Urb'luu' . Weird. And it's the name of a demon.

And the 10th level ability of the Thrall to Fraz Urb'luu' PrC is to basically transform an existing illusion into realtiy, duplication the effects of Wish.

Originally posted by hogarth:

Extreme Explorer (Eberron Campaign Setting)

Originally posted by Xeraph:

Is it possible to combine Spring Attack and Charge? And if not, why?

Originally posted by esponer:

Answers

11. The two mentioned previously, and the Yakuza (Oriental Adventures, Page 55-56). You'll find that the Yakuza is one of the better prestige classes for meeting tough prerequisites. Uncanny dodge and defensive roll at level one, improved evasion at level two, 'bardic' knowledge at level three, improved uncanny dodge at level four, leadership at level five and slippery mind at level ten – as well as plenty of class skills and 8 + Int modifier skill points per level. Requires some skills, Dodge, and nonchaotic/nongood.

12. It is not possible. Charge is a special full-round action (or a standard action sometimes, but it's still its own separate entity), and so is Spring Attack. Spring Attack grants you one single attack between movements, charge grants you an attack with a +2 attack roll bonus at the end of a move action, with some other technicalities. Note that Spring Attack doesn't even grant you a standard action to attack: it grants you one attack.

Question

13. Can Energy Immunity be used repeatedly on oneself to render you immune to two/three/all energy types?

Is it possible to combine Spring Attack and Charge? And if not, why?
You can get a poor man's version - called Ride By Attack. Move, Charge attack action, Move.

13. Can Energy Immunity be used repeatedly on oneself to render you immune to two/three/all energy types?
edit: LoP's post below trumps mine. Actual SRD quotes and everything.

A13. Sadly, no. The SRD says, "The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts." So, in this case, all the previous versions (and their associated energy-type immunities) become nonfunctional.

Q14: What does everyone think of having a simple system to keep track of everything? When you ask a question, number it and toss "Q" on the start. When you answer someone's question, use the same number, but with "A" in front, so we all know it's an answer. Kinda like what I did here.

A13. Sadly, no. The SRD says, "The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts." So, in this case, all the previous versions (and their associated energy-type immunities) become nonfunctional.
Excellent. I knew that (honest), and mentioned it on the Epic Levels forums. The other poster didn't believe me, posted it on the Spells forums, and nobody agreed with me last I saw. I wouldn't think it was that unfortunate, either.

Originally posted by agehn:

Q 15: What does RAW stand for? I asked in another topic before I realized what this one was for, I hope nobody minds the redundancy.

As for A14, that's more like a poll question not answered by one person, I guess, but it seems good to me.

Q 15: What does RAW stand for? I asked in another topic before I realized what this one was for, I hope nobody minds the redundancy.
A15: "Read As Written" or "Rules As Written." It's an appeal towards a strictly literal reading of the D&D texts. Its appropriateness, as well as the various interpretations of it, are all controversial. A complete analysis or discussion would be too complex and probably too distracting/flame-inducing for a "simple question, simple answer" thread.

A15(b) Also, Rules as Written. Means same thing as what LoP said.

Originally posted by agehn:

Ah, thanks. Now I can put it in context, at least, in the other threads.

A15: Read As Written. It's an appeal towards a strictly literal reading of the D&D texts. Its appropriateness, as well as the various interpretations of it, are all controversial. A complete analysis or discussion would be too complex and probably too distracting/flame-inducing for a "simple question, simple answer" thread.
A15b: I always thought it was "Rules as Written" meaning that there is no room for interprentation, it is simply written that way.

15c: A quick search for acronyms turned up "Read-After-Write", perhaps the editors should RAW

Q16. Can a halfling with the feats Deflect Arrows, Snatch Arrows and Infinite Deflection (character level 21st), using halfling skiprocks, deal ridiculous damage in a round by ricocheting the skiprocks off his target, back to himself, catching it, and using Snatch Arrows to get to throw it back to where it came from, ad infinitum (well, until he misses)?

A16, suggested. No. Your target is not the "original attacker", and so you'd just throw the skiprock back to yourself. Ad infinitum. The space-time continuum would collapse as you'd just juggled an object infinite times in six seconds and Pun-Pun would cry. (Um, or just read the first sentence.)

Q16. Can a halfling with the feats Deflect Arrows, Snatch Arrows and Infinite Deflection (character level 21st), using halfling skiprocks, deal ridiculous damage in a round by ricocheting the skiprocks off his target, back to himself, catching it, and using Snatch Arrows to get to throw it back to where it came from, ad infinitum (well, until he misses)?

A16, suggested. No. Your target is not the "original attacker", and so you'd just throw the skiprock back to yourself. Ad infinitum. The space-time continuum would collapse as you'd just juggled an object infinite times in six seconds and Pun-Pun would cry. (Um, or just read the first sentence.)
I could be wrong but I do not think this thread was made for answering you own questions...

Q17:Can a metal weapon be made of bronzewood and still have grtr mighty wallop or spike/brambles (NERF) cast on it?

Q17: can prestige classes advance artificer casting/infusions? (I saw this one on another thread somewhere)

A18: (look up, Surreal ;) ) Yes, prestige classes which specifically advance "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" increase an artificer's infusion caster level and access to higher-level infusions. Also, "an artificer can qualify for prestige classes with spellcasting level requirements (as long as they do not specifically require arcane or divine spellcasting), even though his infusions aren't spells." This, along with further clarification, can be found on page 53 of Magic of Eberron.

A18: (look up, Surreal ;) )
D'oh, so it seems I can't count.

Q19: Now is that a failed Int check or a Wis check
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by nastynate:

Q20: Exactly how many tentacles can a warshaper make with the morphic weapon ability?

A19: Maybe a Con check or Fort save versus inebriation, too.

I think that the answer to #18 was dang welcome news. Yeah, few people will want to give up craft reserve, but at least a wider variety of prestige-class dips are available to Artificers to add a little flavor.

A19: Maybe a Con check or Fort save versus inebriation, too.
Curses, if only I was a Drunken Master, I would have been able to improve my fort save instead :D

A20: By RAW, there is no limit. I generally see it house ruled at two extra attacks. If you want more, I suggest lowering your DM's Fort save ;)

Q21: What spells grant extra arms? The ones I am aware of: Girallon's Blessing (SS) and Arms of Plenty (LoM). I'm pretty sure there are at least two more.

Originally posted by nastynate:

A20: By RAW, there is no limit. I generally see it house ruled at two extra attacks. If you want more, I suggest lowering your DM's Fort save
I am the DM, and this scares me...one of my PCs is a changeling rogue with a cloak of etherealness. Woah sneak attack damage! The thing is his character isn't that strong, so I suggested this PrC to him
dangit.gif
House rule time...

I say, call us Disciples, as in disciples of pun-pun.

Originally posted by broken_one_02:

Q22: Can I use Divine Metamagic (Quicken) with the Summon Undead X Spells (they have casting time of 1 round) and if how long would be the casting time?

Q23: Could one combine Quicken Turning and Divine Quicken? So I would be able to bolster, undead, use a quickend spell and still have a full-round action?

Quicken tells that I still can only make one turn attempt per round but Divine Metamagic just tells that I have to spend one of my attempts not really roll another one?

Greets & Thanks,

Marco

Q22: Can I use Divine Metamagic (Quicken) with the Summon Undead X Spells (they have casting time of 1 round) and if how long would be the casting time?
A22: From the SRD Quicken Spell:
"Casting a quickened spell is a free action...A spell whose casting time is more that 1 full round action cannot be quickened"

Since the 1 round casting time is longer than a full round action, you cannot quicken Summon Undead X unless there is some other factor in play (for example, the Rapid Spell feat from Complete Divine.) Any quickened spell is cast as a free action, that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Last edited:

Remove ads