D&D 5E Astral Dreadnought

I needed one for my next game, and couldn't find one on the interwebz. so I made my own.

Astral Dreadnought
Gargantuan fiend, chaotic neutral

AC 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 20d20+200 (410)
Speed Fly 180 ft.

Str 30 (+10), Dex 7 (-2), Con 30 (+10)
Int 5 (-3), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 18 (+4)

Skills: Perception +12, Survival +12
Damage Resistances: nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities: Frightened, prone
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 22
Languages: Understands all, cannot speak
Challenge Rating: 15

Antimagic Cone. This monster’s central eye creates an area if antimagic, as in the antimagic field spell, in a 150-foot cone. At the start of each of its turns, this monster decides which way the cone faces.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The creature uses its Frightful Presence. It hen makes three attacks: two with its claws, and one with its bite.
Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 15ft., one target. Hit: 24 (4d6+10) slashing damage.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 15ft., one target. Hit: 32 (4d10+10) piercing damage. On a critical hit against a target in an astral body (as with the astral projection spell), this monster can cut the silvery cord that tethers the target to its material body, instead of dealing damage.
Frightful Presence. Each creature of this monster’s choice that is within 120 feet of it and aware of it must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to this monster’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

surfarcher

First Post
My thoughts...

• Maximum attribute is higher than normal for a CR15 (normally 23), yet Average attribute is on the low side (normally 18). This may result in a creature with cirtical weak spots. Yes, I am looking at you Dexterity!
  • AC is very high for a CR15, which really bumps its DCR.
  • HD is also a little high for a CR15, which doesn't help it's DCR.
  • Attack modifier is very high for a CR15, which really bumps it's OCR.
  • Damage is a little low for CR15. Not necessarily a big deal.
  • Save DC is a little high for CR15, also pushing OCR.
  • Overall I'd say this is more of a swingy CR23 than a solid CR15.

Remove ads