• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At the Grand Portal of the Dead

Tom Cashel

First Post
Revisionist History

Revisions to the end of last session:

Velm got the mithril chainmail from the bugbear. You took Hatho's Drum and everything from Shieldcoil (including the bag of her bones and skull), but left Hathos his mithril short sword and did not touch the armor or hammer of King Cindarm (I know I said Iolar, but I meant Cindarm...). Velm explained that dwarves are buried with their armor and weapons since they use them in the Next World...and would have attacked anyone who tried to loot the bodies. Everything else remains the same.

Velm: "I say we attack Flame's tower and kill the bastard. The Father of Battles favors the bold."

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Velm, let's hold off on the attacking, eh? The bold often end up disintegrated.

But okay! We've got these clues that I'm busy translating right now. I'm assuming they'll tell us our next move.. and where to find the Crown of Fire.

But before we do that, we've got a number of issues we need to discuss, though.

1. I've just achieved the spells of the 3rd circle, which are very powerful. One of them, "Haste" would benefit the entire party by allowing you to attack TWICE (yes, Van, you could shoot 4 arrows at once .. and Sieta, I shudder to think what your "flurry of blows" would look like when Hasted!). But I'll need four days to copy this spell. And the other problem is that I'll need special ink that Flame has. So I'll need to get it from him.. I think I can trade with him to get it.

2. But that leaves another problem. Are any of you worried about handing over a bag of bones to someone who is undead? I am. But we did make a promise. What should we do?

Tom Cashel

First Post
Velm: "Snowcap made the promise. I think his opinion is what we need to hear.

"As for point 1., Cousin...you're not really going to try and get ink from that fiend, are you? After we used his tower for some kind of subterranean flophouse for three days? I though he was going to snuff us out every time we came knocking on the door.

"Which leads me to the question of why it was too 'dangerous' to stay there if we were going to be in and out all the time, but...

"What's done is done and there's no going back.

"Spooky...will you say something, by the blades of Clangeddin?"

Last edited:

Saeita Nevi

First Post
Even if snowcap made another promise without thinking,
Flamecoil's wrath will be directed toward us all if he finds out we have those bones and didn't deliver them.
What can a bag of bones do for us anyways?

Bronn are you thinking of going to hang out with flame again for another 4 days?

Don't worry Velm, even though I don't run my mouth like a dwarf, I'm here listening, ready to get you out of trouble, as usual.

Tom Cashel

First Post
Velm: "Who you calling a mouth-runner??" :)

"We should probably just deliver the bones...I'd really like to kill that snake, though. He hasn't told us the whole story, I'm sure of it..."

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Sieta's right. We can't hand over the bones without knowing what he intends.

I was asking myself, why didn't he just go and get the bones himself all these years? The answer is clear: he cannot pass into these sacred halls.

I propose this: Velm stays here and guards the bones, the rest of us will speak with Flame about his plans for the bones... more appropriately, what he would like US to DO with the bones.

Also, something's been troubling me since we met Flame. You all remember the "Hero's Feast" we enjoyed when we got there. That spell is not of the art. It is divine magic. Our friend is not only a powerful Wizard, but some sort of Cleric (I was surpised Daziel didn't notice this). I'm not sure what this means, but it is something to consider.

Tom Cashel

First Post
Saeita Nevi said:

Flamecoil's wrath will be directed toward us all if he finds out we have those bones and didn't deliver them.
What can a bag of bones do for us anyways?

Velm: "I think Saeita was saying we should just give up the bones and be done with it...wasn't she?"

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
enough is enough

Cousin -- that may be what she's saying (it's tough to tell since she's so spooky), but that's not what I'm saying.

I don't know about you, but I don't plan on finding Aerunedar's treasures and abandoning it again. Dwarves WILL walk these caverns again, and I aim to clear the way for them to do so.

And I'm telling you right now, I don't want some undead wyrgym living here when that happens.

That being said, he has done us no harm so far, so I think it only fair to give him a chance to leave ... before the cousins Trueforger come back with an army of dwarves and drive his bony arse back to hell. Are you with me, Cousin? Van? Sieta? The rest of you?

Unfortunately, we'll have to use our brains to be rid of him ... and I really do need those materials. I'm sure you've guessed by now that I've got a plan. But does anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited:

Tom Cashel

First Post
Velm: "You're crafty, Cousin. Try not to get us all killed. I've been saying from the beginning that we need to get rid of that bony devil. I'd be happy to stand watch over the bones."

Daziel: "Just hold on...we need to think about finding the Lunar Speculum before we engineer a plan to oust Flamecoil. Besides, I thought he was your best friend, Bronn? What are you trying to get us into?"

Corwyn: "...um...we're not going to take the treasure and leave?"

Velm: "What in the Nine Hells has become of that Snowcap?"

Remove ads