D&D 5E At what level have you fought Strahd, and how did the encounter end?

Li Shenron

Legend
Curse of Strahd is presented as an adventure for 4-6 characters of level 1-10. The BBEG is CR 15 and 13000 XP, making him a deadly encounter for 4 level 10 PCs, which sounds like a DM might want to discourage the PCs from going straight towards Castle Ravenloft too soon, but even at level 10 it will not be easy.

This is a question only for those who actually played Curse of Strahd until the end. What level were your PCs when you faced Strahd in the final encounter, and how did it end?

ezo

I cast invisibility
Also 9th. We destroyed him easily (not even two full rounds), followed his mist form back to his coffin, destroyed his three consorts, and staked him. It was pretty sad, actually.

Solo monsters are typically weaker than their CR would suggest. I'd tell your DM to ramp him up, personally.

MarkB

Legend
Why didn't he polymorph into bat form and fly after he went off the cliff?
I don't know how it's supposed to go in the module and I know our DM was playing loose with the rules, but basically we were on the path of prophecy and this was the appointed place of his demise, the same cliff from which Tatyana had thrown herself to escape him. Falling from that cliff was his appointed doom, and the only way to permanently kill him.

Our party kicked his ass easily at 6th level. I had to manufacture an escape and then significantly beef him up when they encountered him again at 10th.
strahd encountering a 6th level party, apparently
he not built for this.jpg

Remove ads