Atari Trying to Sell Cryptic Studios

Dannager

First Post
News broke today that Atari is trying to sell off Cryptic Studios, developer of the upcoming Neverwinter title.

It remains to be seen whether or not this will affect the game's development. Cryptic's recent track record has not been stellar.

Quickleaf

Legend
That may be the case but Atari has dramatically changed it's position in a relatively short time period. This poster in the thread you linked said it concisely:

Fnor 06:05 PM said:
I'm really skeptical of the "losing Atari millions" line considering Atari has essentially rerouted Cryptic's main continuing revenue engine (their online store) directly to Atari (so Cryptic doesn't get "credit" for purchases) and considering this is only 3 months after Atari itself touted explosive growth in its online gaming portfolio (i.e. Cryptic) as coming close to offsetting their horrible losses on retail sales. So, in 3 months, Atari's story has gone 180. I think I agree with other commenters that Atari is looking for a way to sell the company for a quick buck, and need a good line for the shareholders.

Remove ads