• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attacks Thru Summons

Well, granted, my second question was dumb hah. But this is why I asked about the weakened condition. I mean, I always search before I ask a question. According to CS, it seems that weakened wouldn't apply.

"Well we just got the official ruling:

Thank you for contacting us. The weakened condition on the caster of Dream Traveler would not affect the attacks made by the summoned creature. This weakened condition is a temporary penalty from using the Dream Traveler power, and as described in the Attacks and Check section for Summoning in the Rules Compendium below, the attacks made through the creature do not include temporary penalties to the summoner's statistics: <...>"

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26683165/Weakened_and_Summons

Aulirophile

First Post
Another good example of how CS is wrong constantly. Go ahead and ask CS the following question

"Summon rules say temporary penalties and bonuses don't apply to the summons attacks. Penalties and bonuses are specifically defined in the PHB as calling themselves bonuses and penalties. Weakened causes your attacks to do 1/2 damage, but doesn't specify itself as a penalty or bonus. If I am weakened and attacking through my Summon, does my Summon do 1/2 damage?"

They'll probably give you the correct answer. CS has this tendency to give the answer that the questioner wants based on how they phrase the question. When they are right they aren't right for any actual rules reason, which makes them useless.

I agree. But they're right sometimes, no? I myself dont trust their judgement, usually. But it is enough to make things confusing enough to prompt me to ask questions in here, so that I can be sure. The other guy just acted like I was crazy for asking the question, so I just wanted to illustrate why I was confused, so that the people I defer to in here for my rules questions don't think I'm just asking rules questions off the "top of my head" without looking into matters beforehand.

Aulirophile

First Post
I agree. But they're right sometimes, no? I myself dont trust their judgement, usually. But it is enough to make things confusing enough to prompt me to ask questions in here, so that I can be sure. The other guy just acted like I was crazy for asking the question, so I just wanted to illustrate why I was confused, so that the people I defer to in here for my rules questions don't think I'm just asking rules questions off the "top of my head" without looking into matters beforehand.
I've asked CS 37 questions, they've been right twice. After they were wrong the first three times I turned it into a game. I'm winning. They are not consistently right, which is all that matters. Would you hire someone to build a house if their houses fell down 50% of the time? Asking CS is a similar waste of time, it is closer to gambling then anything.

Fun CS Rulings I have gotten:

Only Interrupts can invalidate actions, Reactions that respond to movement cannot, ever.

Fighter OA's do not stop movement.

If a Power allows a Marked Enemy to Shift the Fighter cannot punish it.

Wardens cannot punish anywhere within their weapon's range.

Avenger's don't get to roll twice on rerolls.

Being slowed midway through a move action in no way effects the action.

Daze does not prevent OAs.

In perfect fairness I got some of those very near release, CS has gotten better at very simple rules questions. I imagine because they get asked those same questions a lot. Anything even remotely complex (my general rule is the correct answer involves three separate sections in one book, or any amount of multiple books) they won't give a correct answer because of the rules, but only because they got lucky.

I guess weakened does not apply.

There is a difference between temporary penalties and bonuses and those that apply through feats.

Summons can have their own bonus granted by one of your attacks that grants a bonus to an ally.

mudlock

First Post
The other guy just acted like I was crazy for asking the question, so I just wanted to illustrate why I was confused, so that the people I defer to in here for my rules questions don't think I'm just asking rules questions off the "top of my head" without looking into matters beforehand.

I apologize for misrepresenting your confusion and making baseless assumptions as to its cause.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads