D&D 3E/3.5 Attempt at Conversion doc to convert 3.5 edition and Pathfinder monsters to D&D Next - on the fly

Converting Pathfinder or 3.5 Monsters to D&D Next on the fly.
Thanks for working on this.

I'm planning on semi-converting my PF/3.5 hybrid toward 5e (math-wise, anyway... still planning to use PF/3.5 classes and monsters*) and this has helped spark some ideas in the way of conversion.

Thank you.

* Looking to get rid of varying BAB; Fort, Ref, Will; Different types of AC; and a few other fiddly bits.

MartyW

Explorer
Great article.

Q: You ignore the ability stats in your advice, but the stats and their bonuses (which are essentially the same as in 5e) are listed in the 3.x SRD. Why not use those numbers for the computations?

KnightCa

First Post
Love this work. Decided to convert a few sample creatures using your format from Pathfinder to Next (using the DM Basic Rules to compare).

I used Chimera, Centaur, Cockatrice, Dire Wolf, Earth Elemental (Greater), and Flesh Golem.

AC: These didn't seem to correlate well. They tended to be off by about 4 in either direction. Not sure what math would solve this.

Con/Dex/Wis saves: These tended to be off by about 1-3 in either direction. Not sure what math would solve this either.

Save DCs/Attack Rolls: Got it right on.

I'd love to hear of any suggested adjustments for the above so they dont vary so much.

KnightCa

First Post
I made a few changes and created a online tool to automate conversions from pathfinder to 5e. Here is the link for you: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z_raI7JPLQX_3OxdYShNDDScuH9vfdGTXaDQVcHo90k/edit?usp=sharing

Some of the changes I made:
AC: AC-CR (2 minimum)+2
Proficiency Bonus: (CR-1)/4+2
Ability Saves/Checks: Ability modifier
Proficient Skills: Ability Modifier + Proficiency Bonus
Attack Bonus: Highest of Str/Dex Modifier + Profiency Bonus

Large Size (higher than CR 2): Increase hit points by 50% (this may or may not be a good way to do this)

Let me know if further changes would help.

pontinyc

Explorer
I'm being a complete idiot here, I have no doubt, but how exactly does this Google doc work? If I enter the values for a Pathfinder npc or monster, for example, is there a button to click that will automatically convert those values into the 5e equivalent? I entered some values and went to the results page but only got an error message.

Thanks for your patience and any input you can offer!

KnightCa

First Post
I cleaned it up by removing the extra sheets.
You enter the pathfinder creature data in the blue boxes to the left.
The D&D 5.0 conversion is shown on the peach boxes on the right immediately. No button pushes needed after you enter the blue boxes.

let me know if that works for you.

pontinyc

Explorer
Hey KnightCa,

Uh. . . oh, yeah. I was being an idiot. All looks great except for the fact that if I enter high AC's in the Pathfinder box (entered the numbers for a random dragon), it halves them in the 5e box. So a 20 AC in Pathfinder becomes 10 in 5e. Is this working as intended or am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks agin!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases