Attribute Effects on Concept/Appearance

Starfox

Hero
This is a meandering chain of thought touching upon several subjects, mainly in 4E but also in other editions and other games. My basic question is this; How much is my concept of a character influenced by the attributes I choose.

In 4E, we are pretty strongly directed to have one primary ability score starting at 18+ and a secondary ability starting at 16+. You are not forced to do this, particularly on the secondary ability, but the incentive to do so is strong. What are the consequences of this on character build and appearance?

Strength is the prime example; from the name you would think that Strength would indicate that you are large and powerful. But in the game, Strength also has many elements of agility; you ht with it and use it to climb and jump, things a weight lifter would not be very good at because of sheer size. My main problem with this is actually the Athletics skill; since you use Strength to climb, cat burglars need to be strong.

Something similar applies to Intelligence. By tradition, we think of clergy as learned men, and the Religion skill is Int-based. But for an adventuring cleric, Intelligence is often a dump stat. Supposedly, you are able to perform your priestly duties without much theological talent, making up for it with wisdom and understanding.

Dexterity is used to inflict damage with ranged weapons, which in fact have no Strength requirements whatsoever. This implies that a high Dexterity gives you the technique and specialized strength to pull powerful bows.

Constitution is used for Endurance, which implies you look like a long-distance runner. But it also gives healing surges and hit points, which indicates a robust frame.

This has a definite effect on how people build their characters. Around here, a player avoided high strength so they she wouldn't look too muscular. Another player took a deliberately low Con in order to have less body fat and more defined muscles on his character. Both these players would have their class choices restricted in 4E. The matter is further confused because it is so subjective; one player's high Con character does not look like another's.

As anyone else found this conceptualization of the attributes difficult?

This is a meandering chain of thought touching upon several subjects, mainly in 4E but also in other editions and other games. My basic question is this; How much is my concept of a character influenced by the attributes I choose.

In 4E, we are pretty strongly directed to have one primary ability score starting at 18+ and a secondary ability starting at 16+. You are not forced to do this, particularly on the secondary ability, but the incentive to do so is strong. What are the consequences of this on character build and appearance?

Strength is the prime example; from the name you would think that Strength would indicate that you are large and powerful. But in the game, Strength also has many elements of agility; you ht with it and use it to climb and jump, things a weight lifter would not be very good at because of sheer size. My main problem with this is actually the Athletics skill; since you use Strength to climb, cat burglars need to be strong.

Something similar applies to Intelligence. By tradition, we think of clergy as learned men, and the Religion skill is Int-based. But for an adventuring cleric, Intelligence is often a dump stat. Supposedly, you are able to perform your priestly duties without much theological talent, making up for it with wisdom and understanding.

Dexterity is used to inflict damage with ranged weapons, which in fact have no Strength requirements whatsoever. This implies that a high Dexterity gives you the technique and specialized strength to pull powerful bows.

Constitution is used for Endurance, which implies you look like a long-distance runner. But it also gives healing surges and hit points, which indicates a robust frame.

This has a definite effect on how people build their characters. Around here, a player avoided high strength so they she wouldn't look too muscular. Another player took a deliberately low Con in order to have less body fat and more defined muscles on his character. Both these players would have their class choices restricted in 4E. The matter is further confused because it is so subjective; one player's high Con character does not look like another's.

As anyone else found this conceptualization of the attributes difficult?

I am not convinced it follows that a high a Con means more body fat. A high Con means your tough, resist diseases well and have a good stamina, while a lot of body fat typically indicates that you might already be ill (obesity for example can lead to an ill liver up to Diabetes), and you are typically not that fit and your stamina might be low.

A cat burglar would probably also have muscles (don't let yourself be fooled by TV shows and movies), though he wouldn't have the "extreme body builder" build. (Probably because he also needs agility and stamina for his "job").

Roger

First Post
Around here, a player avoided high strength so they she wouldn't look too muscular. Another player took a deliberately low Con in order to have less body fat and more defined muscles on his character.
This is so far outside of my experiences that I don't really have much to say, other than, well, it hasn't been remotely an issue for the people I play with.

Cheers,
Roger

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Can't say this is a issue in our games. Stats are just well stats. They are like any mechanical aspect highly refluffable or changeable. If you want to play a Fighter but want to seem more dexterous and be lithe in build, cool, go with it. Create your Fighter per-normal and simply describe your character as lithe and the fighting style as dexterous.

The world/adventure doesn't know your stats so why should it bother, is our view.

joeandsteve

First Post
I don't see how this "problem" is 4e specific. Classes have always encouraged maxing out relevant ability scores and neglecting less relevant ones.

Starfox

Hero
I really don't have very firm opinions, which I why I made the subject so open - I want different views and experiences on this subject.

A cat burglar would probably also have muscles (don't let yourself be fooled by TV shows and movies), though he wouldn't have the "extreme body builder" build. (Probably because he also needs agility and stamina for his "job").

You mean you are trying to simulate reality and not popular media?

Anyway, Dexterity already includes a fair bit of Strength (see my Bow example) and agility (the defining quality of the cat burglar) is really more of a Strength to weight ratio. The Imp is Tiny (the size of a cat) and has a Strength of 12, which really implies the Strength attribute is quite power-to-weight-related. A cat-size beastie pulling as much weight as an adult human would be very odd indeed. Then again, the imp is a supernatural creature. It could swing both ways.

I don't see how this "problem" is 4e specific. Classes have always encouraged maxing out relevant ability scores and neglecting less relevant ones.

Agreed, its not 4E specific, and I said so. I'm just taking it up here because I'm seeing the problem in 4E now. In my homebrew systems, I can easily set any relationship between attributes and appearance that I want.

Can't say this is a issue in our games. Stats are just well stats. They are like any mechanical aspect highly refluffable or changeable. If you want to play a Fighter but want to seem more dexterous and be lithe in build, cool, go with it. Create your Fighter per-normal and simply describe your character as lithe and the fighting style as dexterous.

The world/adventure doesn't know your stats so why should it bother, is our view.

The end result of this kind of thinking is f course that the stats mean nothing at all, and could be abolished. I mean, if they have no effect, why bother?

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Adventures don't have normal bodies. They can increase one ability without affecting another. Us humans can't increase our strength without affecting our dexterity or consitution up or down.

Problem number 2 is that D&D abilites are described poorly. Dexterity as a modifier is almost all coordination. It's almost 100% about making one's body move where and when you want it. Strength is mostly power-to-weight, especially in the later editions. Raw pushing power. Constitution is mostly general health and toughness. So a cat burglar with 22 DEX could be very fat; but if he needs to move his finger exactly 1 inch, he can easily.

Starfox

Hero
Having done some thinking on this, I do want some correlation between abilities and appearance, but based upon sets of abilities, not individual ones. For example, the classic Conan movie bodybuilder look is a combination of high strength and con - simply because barbarians (and the related axe fighter types) tend to high strength and con.

So, we have three physical attributes that can be high or low, giving us 8 sets of combinations of high stats. These are based more on what classes benefit from such a stat combinations that on classical interpretations of the stats.

Str, Dex, Con: Heroic like a classical statue, balanced. Tarzan, Superman.

Str, Dex: Pantherlike

Str, Con: Bodybuilder heavyweight physique.

Dex, Con: Athletics, maybe thin like a distance runner

Str: Powerful

Dex: Lithe

Con: Robust

None of the above: Plain

Remove ads