• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[AU] Siege on Ebonring Keep - Part 2

Rybaer

First Post
Runther and Chonder seem friendly enough and they willingly share information. They prod Ys-Korros for details on what was found in the caves and about the nature of the rhodin "rear guard." They chuckle at the tale.

"Well," says Runther, "I don't think it's too likely that any other rhodin were going to be coming back for the few you found. When we picked up this trail yesterday, we decided to follow where it went rather than where it came from. It took us to a cave a good six hours hike from here. We found a dozen dead rhodin and scattered remnants of some supplies there. From the looks of them, they'd probably been killed over a week ago."

"Magic," Chonder says with a grim expression. "That's how I'd wager they died. Lots of burn marks and other unnatural wounds, though some scavengers have been working them over since."

"We found tracks indicating that several dozen fled the site," Runther says. "Followed them a short way, then decided we should get back here and report. Yaren wanted news back before noon today."

"Do you have a skilled tracker among you?" Chonder asks. "If not, you might find it difficult to follow the rhodin. There are a few spots where the trail almost completely disappears for hundreds of yards or more. This rain will only make it worse."

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Pyior looks around doubtfully at his companions.

"Hmm... No I don't believe any of us are skilled trackers. Would one of you be willing to come with us while the other reports back? Or perhaps we could travel back to the keep with you and then head out this evening or tomorrow. We might lose a day that way, however, which could make the trail that much harder to follow."

Erekose13

Explorer
Ys-Korros listens carefully to what the litorian trackers have to say, pondering, "So the rhodin were ambushed by someone else and what the thieves stole from the castle was stolen by another party. Have you seen any evidence of other groups sent by Iriana? Perhaps we are not the first to find the trails and the ring is already on its way back to the fortress."

Rybaer

First Post
Runther listens the Ys-Korros, then shakes his head.

"Sorry, I should clarify," he says. "The tracks of those who fled belong to the same rhodin who went to the cave. Either one of their number used magic to slay some of his fellows and then left with the survivors, or an outsider attacked and only killed some of the group. We didn't see any other tracks, but we really didn't spend that much time inspecting the site meticulously."

The two scouts have a quick discussion between themselves.

"As you have no tracker and the matter of the rhodin is still a concern to the Keep, I agree that it might be best if one of us comes with you," Runther says. "I will join you for now while Chonder reports back to Yaren with what we've found."

"And I should probably hurry along now," Chonder says. He waves to everyone and starts to move with quiet efficiency down the trail toward the Keep.

"Do you have all the supplies you'll need for a few days away from the Keep?" Runther asks. "We'll be able to forage and hunt for some food this time of year, but at the expense of traveling speed."

Rybaer

First Post
The scout contemplates for a moment.

"Well," he says, "the trail is well over a week old...probably closer to two. So we're not exactly going to be in quick pursuit. If you want, we can just forage for roots and berries and do a little hunting on the way. It'll just take time.

"The alternative is losing about four hours going back to the Keep. And about the only food available there is what Ambrose is cooking."

The litorian wrinkles his snout while everyone else's stomachs start rolling in unpleasant memories of Ambrose's foul fare.

Erekose13

Explorer
"Haha yes, I agree with Danwyn the forest's fare will be very welcome. Please lead onwards." Ys-Korros says, agreeing with his companion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads