• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[August] What are you reading?

Arkhandus

First Post
Finished re-reading my old copies of Robotech: The Sentinels last week. Still entertaining after all these years.

Just finished reading The Hero Of Ages, book 3 of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, yesterday. A good read and a good ending to the series (at least, I'm assuming he's not planning a 4th Mistborn novel....there's not much left for a 4th novel to cover in that story, though, since it would be more like an expanded epilogue), albeit not the ending I was expecting. A good deal of stuff is explained or made clear in the 3rd novel, but some things remain a mystery.

The geeky/nerdy part of me is disappointed that Vin never discovered the last 2 Allomantic metals, even though she had another year or two before she needed to try stopping Ruin; she had already discovered 2 or 3 Allomantic metals in the 1st novel that most of the Final Empire wasn't aware of (due to the Lord Ruler's secrets and the teachings of his priests), and another 1 or 2 other Allomantic metals in the 2nd novel, but for some reason never bothered to try out any other metals afterward to discover the last 2 Allomantically-useful metals. So the last 2 Allomantic enhancement metals remain a mystery, along with many of the Feruchemical and Hemalurgical uses of the 16 Allomantic metals. Though it's mentioned in the book that the Lord Ruler almost certainly knew those secrets himself. The appendix at the back of the 3rd book notes the Feruchemical and Hemalurgical uses for a few metals, but leaves most of them unknown. The geeky part of me is disappointed by that, but oh well.

Now I'm started on reading Twilight, book 3 of the Dark Templar trilogy for StarCraft. I enjoy reading more about the StarCraft universe, the previous two books (Firstborn and Shadow Hunters) were good. Then I'll finally read T.H. White's The Once And Future King.

Shade

Monster Junkie
So the last 2 Allomantic enhancement metals remain a mystery, along with many of the Feruchemical and Hemalurgical uses of the 16 Allomantic metals. Though it's mentioned in the book that the Lord Ruler almost certainly knew those secrets himself. The appendix at the back of the 3rd book notes the Feruchemical and Hemalurgical uses for a few metals, but leaves most of them unknown. The geeky part of me is disappointed by that, but oh well.

Mystery solved. ;)

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/737/Poster-Near-Final-Version

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Which books are in that? I got them decades ago from the SFBC, and a (possibly) related book or books - the Secret Books of (Venus?) that I've never read.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Books-Paradys-Tanith-Lee/dp/1585679844]Amazon.com: The Secret Books of Paradys (9781585679843): Tanith Lee: Books[/ame]

Basically, it collects The Book of the Damned, The Book of The Beast, The Book of the Dead and The Book of the Mad.

FWIW, I just started Terry Brooks' Gypsy Morph today.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Just finished Russell Kirkpatrick's trilogy Fire of Heaven: Across the Face of the World, In The Earth Abides a Flame and The Right Hand of God. Huge books, epic fantasy; very well done and easy to get through despite the length and what some people have called the 'Travelogue' nature of the series. I think they're kinda nuts. That might be slightly true as they move through the relatively peaceful lands on their way east, but the story really does pick up and take a sharp left turn around about page 400 of the first book, and from then on there is a lot of adventure happening.

Now I'm reading Trudy Canavan's The Magician's Apprentice; it's a stand-alone prequel to her excellent The Black Magicians trilogy.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm about halfway through Gypsy Morph, and I'll be moving on to S.M. Stirling's take on planetary romances- The Sky People and In the Courts of the Crimson Kings, and a Harry Turtledove trilogy about Atlantis (once I get my hands on the 2 other books in the series).

Hmmm...somewhere around here I've also got Stirling's 2nd trilogy of "The Change" to work through as well.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Floating, glue, click-together, staple, or nail? ;)

Floating, glue tongue and groove and tap together.

But as of last Thursday, IT'S DONE!:D

Now it's on to the Library.:D (It's only about 1/4 mile down the road from me, unfortunately though it's going to be closing soon for remodeling, so I'll have to drive to the other side of town for 6 months.:()

Remove ads