Availability of Mithril

trentonjoe

Explorer
I have an character who is very interested in making a mithral shirt. I blew 6 ranks in armorsmithing so that when the time came I could be able to do it.

Now I am an eigth level and think it would not be unbalancing to the game to make a mithral shirt and buckler. One problem, although I have made it known from ast level that this was my goal my DM is giving me a hard time about doing it.

These are his arguments against it:

1) It is too cheap to make. The cost to make is ~1,200 gp while leather +2 is ~ 8,000 gp. He claims that leatehr +2 is essentiallythe same thing (max dex, arcane spell failure, and AC bonus) but 6x more expansive.

2) Mithral is not for sale. He claims it is not for sale it is simply to valuable.

These are my counterpoints:

1) It is less expensive because it does not require a 8th level mage to make it.

2) Mithral (atleast in 3E) is more available than before. There used to be NO price for elven chain, now it is fairly inexpensive to make. I don't know but the new rules seem to imply that it is available for use atleast in some places.

I don't consider myself a powergamer. Even with the mithral shirt and buckler my Ac would be 21. I could cast spells to get it as high as 23. That doesn't seem unbalancing to me. I am the weakest character in my part combat wise as well (5th diviner/3rd rogue).

I was just wondering what other people's perspective on this subject was?

Wolf72

Explorer
as good as leather +2? no, I don't buy that at all.

if you wanted a +2 chain shirt it would cost almost the same! (ooo maybe a 100gp difference)

not for sale? I might buy that, or maybe up the price a bit due to availability.

isn't that like saying MW studded Leather is as good as leather +1?

Sodalis

First Post
i think it is an exclusive skill for only elves and dwarves.

Elves can make light mithril armor (chain shirt) and dwarves make s heavey armor(half and full plate)

it is not explicitly stated, but in teh DMG under magical items, it is called "elven chain" and "dwarven plate" so i would assume that it would be exclusive to that race...

Wolf72

Explorer
Sodalis said:

Elves can make light mithril armor (chain shirt) and dwarves make s heavey armor(half and full plate)

it is not explicitly stated, but in teh DMG under magical items, it is called "elven chain" and "dwarven plate" so i would assume that it would be exclusive to that race...

I don't believe the DMG makes that distinction ... it does for elven boots and cloak, but not for armor.

t-joe: you might want to mention the scaling rules in the DMG ... a suit of mithril 1/2plate will cost 9,750gp ... a suit of +3 1/2plate will cost the same ...

depending on my stats I think I might want that suit of +3 1/2plate instead.

btw +2 leather is only 4,160 gp not 8k +

Fenes

First Post
I'd ask the DM if your PC could seek out an old, forgotten/lost dwarven mine and search for some ore himself. Get your armor and adventure at the same time. Try to make him see that instead of finding a magic leather armor +2 in the next dungeon, a nice stash of ore would do better. That way the metal is not "cheap" anymore, but bought with blood and sweat and tears.

As for racial ability... I think humans can craft armor as well as any dwarf/elf of equal skill (ranks and ability).

Sulimo

First Post
trentonjoe said:
I have an character who is very interested in making a mithral shirt. I blew 6 ranks in armorsmithing so that when the time came I could be able to do it.

Now I am an eigth level and think it would not be unbalancing to the game to make a mithral shirt and buckler. One problem, although I have made it known from ast level that this was my goal my DM is giving me a hard time about doing it.

2) Mithral (atleast in 3E) is more available than before. There used to be NO price for elven chain, now it is fairly inexpensive to make. I don't know but the new rules seem to imply that it is available for use atleast in some places.

I was just wondering what other people's perspective on this subject was?

Well, I think the relative rarity and value of Mithril items is wholly based on the campaign.

Personally, I like having it really rare. Either through physical rarity or through the loss of knowledge of how to make items with it.

Last edited:

Aloïsius

First Post
Sodalis said:

I disagree. I can't see why having pointed ears or a long beard will allow you to use more efficiently some ore.
As for the elven cloack... simply use the "shadow" and "silent move" special ability from magic armor, and enchant your vestment with it. Even the catspawn boots (from wotc site) gives you the same thing than elven boots.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Fenes said:
I'd ask the DM if your PC could seek out an old, forgotten/lost dwarven mine and search for some ore himself. Get your armor and adventure at the same time. Try to make him see that instead of finding a magic leather armor +2 in the next dungeon, a nice stash of ore would do better. That way the metal is not "cheap" anymore, but bought with blood and sweat and tears.

As for racial ability... I think humans can craft armor as well as any dwarf/elf of equal skill (ranks and ability).

this is the way to go. Make the search for mithral a quest in itself. Suggest this to the DM in private and it may fire his imagination to design an adventure around it. I've done this more than once when I learn that some players want more 'X' in the game - of course sometimes they don't even mention it to me!

Be nice to your DM and your DM will be nice to you!

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Maybe the DM will want you to quest for it. Instead of just buying it and making it, he might have some plan or adventure idea for you to obtain your goal as opposed to "Ok, I buy the stuff and making me some armor!"

Wolf72

Explorer
in another role-playing avenue ...

(which I might use ...)

what about having there be a seperate skill for crafting items out of special materials? or even a general feat.

Skill, Craft [mithril]

Craft arms and armor: funky materials.

I may not agree with the +2 leather arguement, but I'm all for the role-playing restrictions based on the campaign.

Remove ads