Pathfinder 1E Avatar Last Airbender: Classes?

Puxido

First Post
Hey, I've been wanting to have an avatar themed setting in my group for a while. The only thing holding me back is that I can't find classes that fit the benders from the show. Is there any sources on how to treat anything similar? Preferably from paizo or another similar company. I heard something about elemental warriors for 3.5 but I couldnt find anything about them. 3.5 and other editions I would also like stuff from if you can find it.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
There's a sky pilgrim alternate monk class in Geek Industrial Complex Companions of the Firmament for PF with an Air Shape ability that allows flight, special air attacks creating shaped winds and vortices. It has very much a Last Airbender feel to it. Of course its 3PP. Though its not cheap, even for the PDF at $14.99, however, if you're looking for a flying campaign, there is no better resource. This book collects all the PF rules on flight and falling and puts them in one place, plus it adds to the rules, especially if you're looking for something more dramatic in presentation, with special sheets for every flying monster in Bestiaries 1 - 3. There are also wyrm rider class, missile mooks and other options for flying campaigns.

Here's Thilo Graf's (Endzeitgeist) review on this product.

Note: I have no connection to this product, other than being a satisfied customer.

Last edited:

Puxido

First Post
There's a sky pilgrim alternate monk class in Geek Industrial Complex Companions of the Firmament for PF with an Air Shape ability that allows flight, special air attacks creating shaped winds and vortices. It has very much a Last Airbender feel to it. Of course its 3PP. Though its not cheap, even for the PDF at $14.99, however, if you're looking for a flying campaign, there is no better resource. This book collects all the PF rules on flight and falling and puts them in one place, plus it adds to the rules, especially if you're looking for something more dramatic in presentation, with special sheets for every flying monster in Bestiaries 1 - 3. There are also wyrm rider class, missile mooks and other options for flying campaigns.

Here's Thilo Graf's (Endzeitgeist) review on this product.

Note: I have no connection to this product, other than being a satisfied customer.

Thats a fine class and all, but it seems to only qualify as an airbender. I could use that, but I also need stuff on firebenders, earthbenders and waterbenders.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Looking at that class and the Air Shape ability, except for the flight portion, it seems fairly easy to convert Air Shape to Fire Shape, Water Shape or Earth Shape. Water Shape and Earth Shape could allow movement through water or earth the same way flight works, don't know how you'd apply that to fire though, aside from passing through it. Being level dependent with a progression as one levels, Air Shape involves a radius area of control that increases in size, shape, speed, force, fly penalties, etc. Without much imagination nor mechanical adjustment applying the affects of Air Shape to the other elements seem no problem. Again, except for Fire, the other elements allowing "flight" alternatives makes sense.

Rogue Genius Games "Talented Monk" class has some Benderish stuff in the main book, and really strong thematic ideas in the "More Monk Talents"

Celebrim

Legend
There are only three classes for PC's on evidence: "Avatar", "Bender", and "Paragon".

"Bender" has subclasses, one for each element, and each element has a tree of forms/stances that allow the user to perform specific moves with that element.

"Paragon" is the non-magical class but paragons seem to have the ability to bend luck/destiny. They can also learn non-bending martial art forms, allowing them to defend themselves quite well through evasion and weapon mastery.

I'm not sure you will be able to easily map the setting to Pathfinder, as the magic is decidedly non-Vancian and generally not limited by any of the traditional routes that D&D has ever used, and to really capture the flavor of the series you'll need a custom magic system plus a really powerful non-caster class that lets you play a normal in a way that you aren't completely out shown by casters that can use magic at will without any of the normal limits on magic use.

I also have absolutely no thoughts on how you'd balance "Avatar" with the other classes. While the "Avatar" in normal form can be vaguely balanced with single form benders, you'll need very hard narrative limits on how and how often the Avatar can enter the ungameable Avatar state.

Remove ads