Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game Kickstarter is live!

The Kickstarter for Magpie Games' Avatar: Legends RPG has launched and is hurtling towards $1M in its opening hours. Set in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra, this tabletop roleplaying game includes a free quickstart which you can download today.

Update — it hit $1M in the first few hours, making it the fastest ever TTRPG Kickstarter to do so.

Update -- after less than two days, it has made over $2.3M, already making it the biggest TTRPG Kickstarter ever (with nearly a month yet to go!)

9981ccd83ca099727cc5c12299cc7d7a_original.jpg

Avatar Legends: The RPG is a heroic fantasy game set in the universe of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra in which you and your friends take on the role of young heroes from across the Four Nations who have joined together to make the world a better place. It’s a game for people of all ages who want to look at the world beyond the scope of the existing stories and explore the meaningful actions heroes take for the good of others.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainedMunkee

Explorer
I have never ever run PbtA, but my kids and wife are so damn excited for this, so I am an Otter-penguin. They will probably convince me to get the special edition.

Feepdake

Explorer
It has now passed "The One Ring 2nd Edition" to be the second-highest pledged TTRPG on Kickstarter. ($2,038,896 at the moment)
It's mind-boggling. Who would've thought an animated franchise to be more popular than a franchise that's been around for more than 80 years. I wonder if it's because the franchise hasn't been saturated yet, or if there aren't enough imitators around, making the franchise still appear fresh and unique.

TrainedMunkee

Explorer
It's mind-boggling. Who would've thought an animated franchise to be more popular than a franchise that's been around for more than 80 years. I wonder if it's because the franchise hasn't been saturated yet, or if there aren't enough imitators around, making the franchise still appear fresh and unique.
Avatar is much more popular than Tolkien, with a younger generation especially. My kids are all late teens and early twenties. They have literally watched the series all the way through several times.

They made me download the starter rules. Guess what I am running next week, lol. Having never run PbtA, I have a bit learning to do.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I can't think of any other licensed IP that would be able to top this for a TTRPG were it to be funded via Kickstarter.
Weird. I can't think of many that wouldn't blow this out one of the water. Avatar is awesome, don't get me wrong. But come on. Star Wars. Star Trek. Marvel. DC. Doctor Who. Lots and lots of IP have huge followings. Most of the money from the Kickstarter, I'd argue, is from fans of the IP, not necessarily from fans of the IP who are also gamers. Clearly some fans are both.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Weird. I can't think of many that wouldn't blow this out one of the water. Avatar is awesome, don't get me wrong. But come on. Star Wars. Star Trek. Marvel. DC. Doctor Who. Lots and lots of IP have huge followings. Most of the money from the Kickstarter, I'd argue, is from fans of the IP, not necessarily from fans of the IP who are also gamers. Clearly some fans are both.
It's not just the amount, either...it's the speed. The Avatar Legends RPG reached $2M in less than 48 hours. That's bonkers...it took Covelle's Kickstarter almost a full month to do that.

Kinda makes me want to do a Final Fantasy Kickstarter. (But I would need a miracle to get permission from Square Enix.)

Last edited:

Feepdake

Explorer
Perhaps it's a generational thing, as I'm not sure if the IPs you've mentioned are necessarily super popular among millennials.

Plus, the Marvel Heroic RPG folded in less than a year because of sluggish sales. The Star Wars RPG is in limbo after FFG more or less abandoned it (to EDGE Studio). Doctor Who has never made to the ICv2 charts and barely registered a blip on Roll20's report at 0.01%. The last DC RPG has been out of print for a while now.

Anyway, we'll never know because up till this date, there hasn't been an RPG of those IPs funded via KS.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It's not just the amount, either...it's the speed. The Avatar Legends RPG reached $2M in less than 48 hours. That's bonkers...it took Covelle's Kickstarter almost a full month to do that.

Kinda makes me want to do a Final Fantasy Kickstarter. (But I would need a miracle to get permission from Square Enix.)
I’m in no way trying to diminish how awesome this is. Only pushing back against the idea that somehow Avatar is unique amongst the universe of IPs and that only it could have done this. It’s a nonsense assertion.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases