Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game Kickstarter is live!

The Kickstarter for Magpie Games' Avatar: Legends RPG has launched and is hurtling towards $1M in its opening hours. Set in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra, this tabletop roleplaying game includes a free quickstart which you can download today. Update — it hit $1M in the first few hours, making it the fastest ever TTRPG Kickstarter to do so. Update -- after...

The Kickstarter for Magpie Games' Avatar: Legends RPG has launched and is hurtling towards $1M in its opening hours. Set in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra, this tabletop roleplaying game includes a free quickstart which you can download today.

Update — it hit $1M in the first few hours, making it the fastest ever TTRPG Kickstarter to do so.

Update -- after less than two days, it has made over $2.3M, already making it the biggest TTRPG Kickstarter ever (with nearly a month yet to go!)

9981ccd83ca099727cc5c12299cc7d7a_original.jpg

Avatar Legends: The RPG is a heroic fantasy game set in the universe of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra in which you and your friends take on the role of young heroes from across the Four Nations who have joined together to make the world a better place. It’s a game for people of all ages who want to look at the world beyond the scope of the existing stories and explore the meaningful actions heroes take for the good of others.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Avatar is hardly more popular than Lord of the Rings.

Allowing for how we have no agreed-upon measure of "popularity", there are two ways to think of this:

1) In terms of the current RPG market, you might well be wrong.

2) In effect, sure, LotR is more popular that Avatar, but then you should be comparing the Avatar RPG popularity to Dungeons and Dragons, because it effectively covers the fictional genre of LotR.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My guesses are Avatar having massive untapped potential, kind of an unmet nostalgia, if you well.

Not just nostalgia, but current fandom, as the Avatar series have been reportedly doing very well for themselves on Netflix.

Also note: The Avatar series, together, have about 3.7 times the runtime of the LotR movies. For most of the media viewers out there, there is simply more Avatar to be a fan of, and that means more plot, mor world, and more characterization to be enamored of.

(I disregard the Hobbit movies, because they kinda stank, and did not do the franchise popularity any favors).

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Not just nostalgia, but current fandom, as the Avatar series have been reportedly doing very well for themselves on Netflix.

Also note: The Avatar series, together, have about 3.7 times the runtime of the LotR movies. For most of the media viewers out there, there is simply more Avatar to be a fan of, and that means more plot, mor world, and more characterization to be enamored of.

(I disregard the Hobbit movies, because they kinda stank, and did not do the franchise popularity any favors).
Man, your opinion is valid, but I adored those movies in my recent watch through of the trilogy.

But yeah, Avatar is massive, there are youtube channels on worldbuilding that essentially use it as the most common reference point that everyone's seen.

TrainedMunkee

Explorer
Allowing for how we have no agreed-upon measure of "popularity", there are two ways to think of this:

1) In terms of the current RPG market, you might well be wrong.

2) In effect, sure, LotR is more popular that Avatar, but then you should be comparing the Avatar RPG popularity to Dungeons and Dragons, because it effectively covers the fictional genre of LotR.
LotR might be more popular in our age group, I am Gen X. It is not more popular among millennials. One thing we are seeing here is the huge population growth with the millennial generation. Anime and manga are hugely popular with that generation. Many were introduced to RPGs via CriticalRole. They started watching CriticalRole due to the voice actors of their favorite anime. Many consider Avatar an anime, even though it's obviously American. Millennials are literally going to change American just as the Baby Boomers have. This really shouldn't be a surprise, but I have 3 millennial children, so I might be a little more woke than most on these boards.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
LotR might be more popular in our age group, I am Gen X. It is not more popular among millennials.

Yep.

Now, attach this to how the 40+ age group is about 13% of the D&D market currently. This doesn't tell you exactly who wants to play Avatar, but it is suggestive that, really, the 40+/GenXers and their favorite properties are not what RPGs are about any more.

Last edited:

That's my assessment as well. It's mostly collectors and only some gamers. Too bad it's going to wildly skew the numbers for RPG Kickstarters.
There's a real skill, though, to presenting a campaign as well-managed stewardship of a beloved IP. So I don't think that element alone overly skews things. My issue is more with TTRPG Kickstarters where it becomes obvious that a ton of the funding is going towards various doodads that have nothing to do with the game. Anytime someone adds a plushie or whatever as an add-on I start to disassociate a bit, and think about those shipping and manufacturing emissions pumping straight into our warming atmosphere, and I wonder about this here hobby/obsession of ours...

Remove ads

Remove ads