Avenger's Infinity War *Spoiler* Discussion

Mighten

First Post
In the comic, Nebula gets ahold of the gauntlet and wishes everything back the way it was a day prior.
In the film this could translate to a year prior. Or everyone killed by Thanos.
Or it could be Tony remaking the universe. Perhaps with Cap. The two of them sacrificing themselves to fix the universe while balancing each other's impulses.

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yup, it's just like the saying: "If all you've got is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."

Except he doesn't actually have the hammer - he has to go thorugh a whole oot of effort to assemble the hammer.

And then, withe the stones in question, really the only solution he can think of is to kill half the universe? He can't.. impost growth limits? Create resources? ENlighten every sentient in the universe so that they can choose good local ways to deal with the problem? With those stones, the only thing he can manage is to *KILL*?

Thanos is not terribly imaginative.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Except he doesn't actually have the hammer - he has to go thorugh a whole oot of effort to assemble the hammer.

And then, withe the stones in question, really the only solution he can think of is to kill half the universe? He can't.. impost growth limits? Create resources? ENlighten every sentient in the universe so that they can choose good local ways to deal with the problem? With those stones, the only thing he can manage is to *KILL*?

Thanos is not terribly imaginative.

Are we missing the fact that he's the MAD TITAN here? You're basically second-guessing someone who demonstrably has a really effed up moral compass. There's not really much of a point to doing that since your views on what's rational are completely different.

Of course, there may be all sorts of other limitations on what the stones can actually do. Can they really create resources on the same scale as they can annihilate life forms? Can they actually enlighten every sentient in the universe?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Are we missing the fact that he's the MAD TITAN here? You're basically second-guessing someone who demonstrably has a really effed up moral compass.

No. I'm noting that they don't actually establish his madness in the movie! He's presented as entirely rational.

Every leader in history who has presided over war has had to do the calculus of, "Is the end I/we seek worth the lives it costs." The vast majority of them are not considered mad - so being willng to have people die for an end is not, itself, sign of madness. If he is correct, that the future of the Universe is doomed unless the excess population is culled, then he may not be considered "mad" at all, as he is saving people in the long run, and is at worst Maciavellian in his appraoch.

He even presents a pretty solid example - his homeworld, that was consumed by its own population. Again, his conclusions that something drastic must be done to save all worlds with sentient life seems supported by evidence!

He only becomes mad when we make it abundantly clear that his position is not rational, that he is moving contrary to reality. And they don't actually do that in the movie!

Of course, there may be all sorts of other limitations on what the stones can actually do. Can they really create resources on the same scale as they can annihilate life forms? Can they actually enlighten every sentient in the universe?

They just spent the past decade establishing how immensiey powerful these stones are, and now we are supposed to just accept that they have criticaly plot-relevant but unstated restrictions? If the Stones have such limitations, that needs to be established in the movie to be a strong argument.

The stones are clearly capable of things other than destruction - see the Vision, who was effectively given life/sentience by one. Thanos uses them to create very realistic ilusions. From the Snapocalypse we know he can reach at least half the population of the Universe simultaneously. The suggestion is that the fact that he limits to half is his invention - he was killing half of worlds before he had the stones. So, he can reach everyone. He has Mind, and can reach everyone. How should he *not* be able to enlighten everyone?

And again, this would all be fine if anyone rejected his thesis, or suggested alternatives, such that we could see his devotion to this one course is irrational.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No. I'm noting that they don't actually establish his madness in the movie! He's presented as entirely rational.

Agreed. He’s not portrayed as mad, or called “the mad Titan”. I don’t know the comics, but the movie does not display an irrational protagonist (and he is this movie’s protagonist).

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
My thoughts -

1) This is a timeline movie - in the battle with Iron Man & Doc Strange vs Thanos henchmen we see the time stone doing some crap, that was the "record start here moment".

2) I am not 100% positive that the ones that disappeared where the ones to "die". Those that where left may have been the ones to go, aka alternative timeline.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We’re not missing it. The movie is. That’s not a thing in this film.

What are you expecting? That he acts like one of the Three Stooges? That he laughs maniacally like a cliche? That he raves like a lunatic? How boring that would be! His method is to act relatively calmly and entirely ruthlessly toward a crazy end. He’s far more menacing as a result (and far more in keeping with his character from the comics).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What are you expecting? That he acts like one of the Three Stooges? That he laughs maniacally like a cliche? That he raves like a lunatic? How boring that would be! His method is to act relatively calmly and entirely ruthlessly toward a crazy end. He’s far more menacing as a result (and far more in keeping with his character from the comics).

I don't know what that means.

I watched a film. I didn't expect anything, and I haven't read the comics.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases