D&D 5E Average Damage by Level

Is anyone aware of any resources that show average damage output for a character by level?

Ideally, typical primary weapon/attack/spells (no magic items) damage by class and level?

Looks like that give me more than I need :) Thank you.

It looks like you do not factor in chance to hit right? This is average damage if you hit?

I'm not sure that that would be easily possible. You could probably calculate the average damage output of a specific build of a specific noncaster class. Trying to smudge every single build of Fighter for example together to get a class average would be messy though.

Things get even worse when you try to bring non-cantrip spells into the mix.

Essentially, you would have to state a lot of assumptions about how a class would be built and use its resources before you could calculate an average for it, and it would likely fall apart as soon as a player picks Haste instead of Fireball for example.

You're welcome. :)

factored in for each DPR number. For example on the fighter page chance to hit is line 21, 54, 87, etc.
These numbers all take into account the monster manual's AC for that level and many many factors.
Even more comprehensive than I thought. Thanks again.

Merudo

Explorer
Perhaps my DPR of Classes sheet. I've linked the Kills Per Round comparison as that has absolutely values.

The spreadsheet makes a lot of unwarranted assumptions and/or is poorly organized.

Just looking at Fighter:

• The spreadsheet says a level 3 Fighter get 12 Superiority Dice in a day, yet only Battlemasters get those. That's a massive error right there.
  • You seemed to assume the Fighter uses Trip 44% of the time, Riposte 36%, Riposte S&B 60%, and Precise Shot 80%. Precise Shot is not a 5e ability as far as I can tell, and these numbers are not at all justified.
  • You sometimes have "enemy is prone" over 100% (like 114%). Clearly, monsters cannot be prone more than 100% of the time.
  • Overall Crit Chance is often set at 0% for level 1-3, yet there is a 5% chance to crit per attack.

aco175

Legend
In my game, which seem less than optimized based on what I read here, favors rogues and fighters at low levels in single attacks and wizards in area damage. Below 5th level, the fighter hits with one attack for 1d8+3, maybe 1d10+3. Most of the fighters seem to favor AC or having an extra attack from 2-handed attacking. We do not use feats in the game either. The rogue might have 1d6+3 short sword and get the backstab damage dice. Typically the thief has a dagger for 1d4 over the shortsword. We use flanking rules so this seems to favor the thief in being able to backstab more often and makes him seem to do more damage than the fighter.

After 5th level the fighter gets 2 attacks, but the thief has more backstab dice balancing these out.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Is anyone aware of any resources that show average damage output for a character by level?

Ideally, typical primary weapon/attack/spells (no magic items) damage by class and level?

You won't find the answer you are looking for unless you accept some kind of predefined structed adventuring day. I've looked quite a bit at 2 short rest 6 encounter adventuring days. If you don't take feats etc into account most options balance out pretty well there in damage at least through at least level 5.

Remove ads