Awarding Treasure

Falstaff

First Post
Hello,

I want to separate treasure awards from monsters/NPCs/etc. I would like to be able to parcel treasure awards across levels.

I was thinking of using table 12-4: Character Wealth by Level to generate my pool of treasure to parcel out. For example, for a party of 4 1st level PCs, I'd have a pool of 4000 gp of treasure to parcel out among the various encounters they'll have before reaching 2nd level.

Are there any problems with this approach that I'm not seeing?

Falstaff

First Post
sounds like a good approach to me, but I would throw in a few extra consumable items occasionally

Yes, I'll use this pool to "purchase" all treasure, even armor and weapons worn by monsters/NPCs, magic items, potions, mundane gear, etc.

White Wizard

First Post
I think Milo was saying he would throw in a few extra consumables above the allotted money given for treasures. It makes sense as the character wealth by level is used to guide you on how much a newly generated character currently has. It would be pretty safe to assume they probably used a few potions that aren't currently accounted for. Personally If you do give them a few extra consumables I would not count scrolls as these can be made permanent for wizards.

milo

First Post
In my earlier post I meant extra potions, wands, etc, above the 4k. Not a lot, but maybe 4 extra potions of CLW or another 1st level spell in potion form at this level. Also, what exchange rate are you going to give them on treasure that they sell? And do you have anyone in the party who will be making magic items, and will they have enough down time to make items? Without experience cost given enough downtime a crafter can make extra gold and out fit the party with some items, or just make a lot of gold and make items for themselves, but if they don't have a lot of time it isn't a big deal.

Remove ads