Sale AZ: After Zombies is on sale!

Vigilance

Explorer
The world as you know it is gone. In the wake of a terrible disease, the dead have risen to walk the Earth and humans are no longer at the top of the food chain and civilization has collapsed. Welcome to the world AFTER ZOMBIES.

After Zombies is a d% RPG with no character classes. All skill and combat checks are rolled on percentile dice and 2-5 d10’s are all you need to play the game, along with pencil and paper. Advancement is based on survival by any means necessary. Hide. Run. Fight. It makes no difference. Surviving one more day is all that matters.

After Zombies was designed by industry veteran Charles Rice, with art by the amazing Jon Gibbons.

Check it out!

169249.jpg

Vigilance

Explorer
Good afternoon fellow survivors!

AZ has been updated! There was a serious SNAFU on page 76 where the columns got jumped somehow causing the text to jump around.

Also, the front and back cover have been replaced with higher res versions for those who want to print the game out, it will look much better now.
One final issue, the Action Point table on page 75-76 has not been fixed (yet!). The table and the text disagree with each other. The text is accurate, the table is not.

Hope everyone is having as nice a holiday as I am. There's snow on the ground, which makes the zeds slower and easier to track. Stay safe and have a happy New Year's!

Vigilance

Explorer
Siege at West Lake Middle School, the first adventure for AZ: After Zombies is on sale!

Check it out!

A radio. You’re not sure why you turn it on, but you’ve turned it on a time or two over the last few days, hoping to hear something other than static and the occasional automated emergency broadcast. Suddenly, you hear something strong. Something close.

Little girl: “H- hello? Is anyone there? Is this thing even on?”

Little boy: “I told you it’s on already! It’s just that no one’s listening. No one’s there at all!”

Little girl: “Shut up! Don’t say that! You can’t… just shut up!”

“Listen, if anyone’s out there, you have to be out there. We need you to come save us, please. Come save us.”

Little boy: “Where we are. You have to tell them where we are dumbass.”

Little girl: “Shut up! I was getting to that! We’re at West Lake Middle School. There’s a lot of zombies outside. And some inside too. Um, the teachers and some of us, when they get sick we lock them in the… we lock them in… I can’t do this.”

Sounds of multiple kids crying in the background.

Little boy: “You’re freaking the kids out. Go calm them down. Listen, I don’t know what to say. I am probably talking to myself anyway. I guess… oh, God please, let someone be hearing this. let them answer. This is so dumb.”

Adult female voice, very weak: “It’s ok, Lucas, go take care of the kids. Listen… *cough, cough* if you’re out there, I have it. You know what I mean, and you will not get it without me. So buck up, soldiers.”

And with that, the battery on your handheld radio goes dead.

Vigilance

Explorer
Hello fellow survivors!

Someone asked me to do a detailed character creation walkthrough for AZ: After Zombies. So let’s no time and start surviving!

For purposes of this tutorial, I am going to be rolling many things randomly. Just know that almost all of these steps can be random, or not, as the player prefers.

Step 1: Choose a Background

My first step along the way is to choose a background. In this case, I’ve decided to roll randomly. I rolled a 30: Paramedic! Note that I could have chosen a background if I had one in mind.

This sets my base stats at the following:
CA 20 HT 40, IN 50, IT 45, LD 40, LK 40, QK 45, ST 40

This background is also going to give me a skill, and possibly let me swap out one of my Traits, but for now, we set that aside and move on to Step Two.

Step 2 Determine a Primary Attribute

So here I have to make a choice. What Attribute is best going to aid my survival. I choose Quickness! I will let me move faster, getting away from zombies and getting to injured people who need me in combat.

I roll 3d10, getting a result of 13. I’ll add this to my Quickness. Note: I could have taken the average of 16 rather than roll this.

My survival attributes are currently:
CA 20 HT 40, IN 50, IT 45, LD 40, LK 40, QK 58, ST 40

Step 3 Determine a Secondary Attribute

Ok, another choice. What is my secondary attribute going to be? I choose Intuition. I’ll be surprised less, have more Mental Toughness and be better at the Paramedic skill, should I select it.

I roll 2d10, getting a result of 17. I’ll add this to my Intuition. Note: I could have taken the average of 11 rather than roll this.

CA 20 HT 40, IN 67, IT 45, LD 40, LK 40, QK 58, ST 40
Step 4 Determine Ordinary Attributes

Now I’m going to select three attributes as ordinary. They’re just a little higher than the base. I select: Combat Ability, Health, Intellect. I roll 1d10 for each and roll: 10, 7, and 2. Note I could have taken the average of 5 rather than roll this.

CA 30 HT 47, IN 67, IT 47, LD 40, LK 40, QK 58, ST 40

Step 5 Determine Weak Attributes

This time there is no choice. By default, I’m down to the last three attributes that I have yet to think about. These are my weak attributes and they are lowered. My weak attributes are: Leadership, Luck and Strength.

I roll 2d10 three times to subtract from these attributes. I roll: 6, 9, and 14. Note I could have taken the average of 11 on all three of these rolls.

CA 30 HT 47, IN 67, IT 47, LD 34, LK 31, QK 58, ST 26

Step 6 Roll a Trait

Not it’s time to get a trait. Just a little something that makes me different from other survivors.

I roll 89, which is Hawk, someone who prefers fighting to negotiation. This doesn’t seem to fit the character that’s coming together here. Let’s look at my Paramedic Background. At the bottom under typical traits, I see Dove, Numb and Team Player. Let’s swap out Hawk for Team Player.

Step 7 Determine Derived Attributes

Now that my survival attributes are more or less set, let’s see what my derived attributes are. The derived attributes are: Hit Points, Mental Toughness, Action Points, Endurance and Unity. I can’t determine Unity until all the players have reached this step, so I’ll wait on that.

As a reminder, here’s my survival attributes:

My hit points are Health (47) + Strength (26) = 73
My Mental Toughness is Intuition (67) + Leadership (34) = 101
My Action Points are my Quickness (58) divided by 10 rounded down = 5
My Endurance is my Health (47) times two = 94
Step 8 Pick a Disadvantage (Optional)

A disadvantage is a weakness or character flaw my survivor has that tends to make my life harder. Disadvantages are optional but it’s a good idea to take one. Not only can it allow you to select an extra skill, every time the disadvantage affects me, I’ll get bonus experience points.

If a disadvantage is taken, it’s always random. I decide to roll the dice. I roll a 55, which is Glue. This increases my group’s Unity, but if I am ever harmed, the group suffers. I roll 2d10 for the severity of the Disadvantage and score a 9.

Step 9 Select Starting Skills

Now it’s time to determine what I’m actually good at. All characters start with two skills, one from their background and one skill of their choice. Since I took a disadvantage I can pick a 3rd skill or increase a Survival Attribute by +5. I decide to take the skill.

First let’s look at the Paramedic Background: The skills are First Aid, Scrounging and Vehicles. I’ll take First Aid which is based on Intuition my highest survival attribute of 67.

The next two skills are any skills I desire. To compliment my high Quickness of 58, I take Athletics. Next I take Psychology. This is also based on Intuition and means I can treat the bodies and minds of my fellow survivors.

Here’s where my survivor stands now:

HP: 73 MT: 101 AP: 5 EN: 94
Skills: First Aid (67), Athletics (58), Psychology (67)

Step 10 Select Starting Equipment

Last step! I get to pick a minor piece of equipment: either a pistol, an archery weapon, a melee weapon, or a suit of light armor. Given my character’s lack of fighting skills, I take the armor.

And we’re done! Hope this helped.

Remove ads