Baalzebul is back to normal (And other new lore discoveries.)

Interesting thing I just learned in the new book. It appears they have reverted Baalzebul back into his humanoid form instead of his slug form in the new book.

Namely they state that Baalzebul punishment from Asmodeus that turned him into a Slug was not permanent. The Punishment was that he would turn into a Slug Creature for one year each time he lied to another Devil. However the punishment was retroactive, so he turned into a Slug for millennia. And has only recently not lied enough that his form is back to normal. He is now honest with other devils as he does not want to turn into a Slug thing again any time soon.

I found this an interesting bit of new lore. I wonder if in the future we will get two stat blocks for Baalzebul. One of him as a liar slug and one of him as a Fly faced humanoid.

Any other cool new Lore stuff have people found in Tome of Foes?

Not really lore as such, but those who were wondering about other setting mentions in the book should rest assured that there are plenty, especially (but definitely not exclusively) in Mordenkainen's asides. Having skimmed through the elf chapter, in one aside he states that the elves on Oerth are but a remnant of their former power, and observes that this is the case on many worlds. He then asks should humans follow this pattern, what would be next? Orcs - and then wonders if since the humans of Eberron just fought a giant war among themselves, if that's a possible future there. In another aside, he states that the Descent of the Drow has happened in all worlds - except for one called Krynn, so he assumes that it's bound to occur there sooner or later, even if they don't know of Corellon and Lolth!

Ah! The "major planar metropolis" that is being detailed in the book isn't Sigil, but Tu'narath, the Githyanki capital city built on a dead god on the Astral Plane.

And a couple of gnome deities have had their genders changed, which is a bit odd, as the fact that gnomes had an all-male pantheon was something of a minor lore point. The change reasonably sensible with Baravar Cloakshadow, since a deity of illusions and deception can appear in any form they may wish, and who would know if that is the true form? Gaerdal Ironhand's change is a bit less easier to explain away...

I've skimmed through the non-bestiary section, but that's enough for me tonight...

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Not really lore as such, but those who were wondering about other setting mentions in the book should rest assured that there are plenty, especially (but definitely not exclusively) in Mordenkainen's asides. Having skimmed through the elf chapter, in one aside he states that the elves on Oerth are but a remnant of their former power, and observes that this is the case on many worlds. He then asks should humans follow this pattern, what would be next? Orcs - and then wonders if since the humans of Eberron just fought a giant war among themselves, if that's a possible future there. In another aside, he states that the Descent of the Drow has happened in all worlds - except for one called Krynn, so he assumes that it's bound to occur there sooner or later, even if they don't know of Corellon and Lolth!
Personally I find that kind of meta comment reprehensible on so many levels. It's lazy writing. It makes no sense. It reduces genocide to sport commentary.

No dig at you, Dem, however. Thank you for digging through the book.

dave2008

Legend
Interesting thing I just learned in the new book. It appears they have reverted Baalzebul back into his humanoid form instead of his slug form in the new book.

Namely they state that Baalzebul punishment from Asmodeus that turned him into a Slug was not permanent. The Punishment was that he would turn into a Slug Creature for one year each time he lied to another Devil. However the punishment was retroactive, so he turned into a Slug for millennia. And has only recently not lied enough that his form is back to normal. He is now honest with other devils as he does not want to turn into a Slug thing again any time soon.

I found this an interesting bit of new lore. I wonder if in the future we will get two stat blocks for Baalzebul. One of him as a liar slug and one of him as a Fly faced humanoid.

Any other cool new Lore stuff have people found in Tome of Foes?

Glad to hear it I guess. When I found out about his slug form I ignored it anyway, so status quo for me.

JPL

Adventurer
And a couple of gnome deities have had their genders changed, which is a bit odd, as the fact that gnomes had an all-male pantheon was something of a minor lore point. The change reasonably sensible with Baravar Cloakshadow, since a deity of illusions and deception can appear in any form they may wish, and who would know if that is the true form? Gaerdal Ironhand's change is a bit less easier to explain away...

Interesting! Contradicts the established lore, yes, but in all these years, no one has done anything with the idea that the female gnome deities are "missing," other than (as I recall) noting that gnomes who leave their communities are said to be "searching for the goddesses" (a figure of speech, rather than an actual quest, I gather).

hawkeyefan

Legend
Definitely a cool bit of lore. I’ve always played Baalzebul as seeking to have his original form restored, so this seems pretty fitting to me.

Getyon’s always been a big part of my campaign, so I’m really curious what they do with him, too. Glad he’s back and that they did away with the vestige bit they went with in late 3E era products.

jgsugden

Legend
I'm not a fan of revision to address racist/sexist trends like the male gnome Gods... I swish they'd just added female gnome Goddesses to the pantheon... Maybe even as a conflicting pantheon. It feels patronizing to "give them one" rather than let them build ones.

gyor

Legend
Personally I find that kind of meta comment reprehensible on so many levels. It's lazy writing. It makes no sense. It reduces genocide to sport commentary.

No dig at you, Dem, however. Thank you for digging through the book.

Mork isn't a good guy, he's more of an antihero.

CapnZapp

Legend
That WotC addressed the gnome pantheon gender balance is entirely natural and reasonable.

That they did not add more god(esse)s is also quite understandable if they gathered the number were sufficient already.

Genderswapping some gods is the obvious fix. It does not irritate me in the least.

Remove ads