D&D 4E Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut 4E

Shiv

Explorer
Hrm, as much as I like Smedman's old module - I praised it in my review podcast some months ago - I though the miniaturized version of Tokyo was silly in a bad way.

The 4E adventure has nothing to do with the Smedman-penned version. It's based on the original Roger E. Moore module from Dragon magazine.

the Jester

Legend
I had missed this thread until now, as well as that sneak peak article. I just have to say that a lot of that stuff looks very excellent, and I am especially stoked to see paragon and epic support coming. Hurray!

I remember well the Moore version of the Dancing Hut; I probably still have that Dragon somewhere, sans cover... (and wasn't it one of the chess covers? -those were awesome!)

I look forward to your faithful conversion. :)

Shiv

Explorer
I remember well the Moore version of the Dancing Hut; I probably still have that Dragon somewhere, sans cover... (and wasn't it one of the chess covers? -those were awesome!)

I look forward to your faithful conversion. :)

I'm glad this thread has popped up again. We're one month away from seeing my adventure come to fruition. Waiting sucks.

The original Moore-penned adventure was in Dragon #83. That issue featured one of the earliest (maybe the FIRST) chess covers. Black and white with a sorceress-type in the middle of the cover and a knight riding a seahorse.

I'm really stoked for my adventure going live next month. I think all you guys will get a kick out of it. It's hut-tastic.

Shiv

MurderbyNumbers

First Post
Baba Yaga Story Revamp

I recently reworked The Dancing Hut to allow the The Hut to become a bit of an aggrevation to Baba Yaga. I changed some of the rooms to manifest meaningful vignettes of Baba Yaga's past (her as a young girl with her sexist abusive father on their farm) and then had the hut power the beings there in crazy ways. I even have some of BY's journals scattered around as treasure. Powerful magic items are everywhere and are not the true treasure for they just collect as more adventures die, nor are some able to pass from one demiplane to the next. You see in my story arc, the artifact Hut is not merely a sentient receptical of power, it also harbors BY's memories as its own. The hut feeds its need for power and what it uses otherwise with the trapped souls in its inner dimension (never ever able to escape to their final reward.)

A story line was a good excuse to incorporate some of my favorite ideas from modules past, like the feast from Castle Amber but at Baba Yaga's ghostly dining hall instead. It is also fun roleplaying to have the Protagonist as the end of the table from the PCs. Someone they don't have a chance to defeat.

It was a good module for creative fodder, but as you said with the Godzilla idea and possibly the being inside another PC's colon; it needed a enema.

Shiv

Explorer
It looks like my "Dancing Hut" adventure will go live at the end of November, likely at the very end of the month. Thanks to all of you who have been waiting patiently for this mid-Paragon tier adventure. I expect you won't be dissapointed.

Craig Campbell (author of "Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut")

PS There's a "Court of Stars" article about Baba Yaga herself, that will accompany my adventure. I'm pretty stoked to see what the author developed for the old crone.

Shiv

Explorer
Hello all,

As we move toward the end of November, I'm giving this thread a little bump.

I've been told that my "Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut" adventure will go live on Wednesday, November 30th. It'll go up alongside a "Court of Stars" article detailing Baba Yaga herself (penned by Alana Abbott) as well as a Design & Development article I wrote which provides some insight into the process I went through while designing this very large adventure project.

In an effort to provide some build-up to Wednesday and the Baba Yaga goodness that will finally come to bear at Wizards' site, I'm gonna provide a few tidbits here and now. This said, I'm basing this on the final draft I submitted to WotC and the follow-up work I did during the editing process a month or so ago. It's possible that some parts of what I'm revealing now changed a bit as the adventure went through development and editing.

So, to answer a few questions you might have...

1. How, exactly, does a hut dance? It dances ALL OVER your characters! Expect the dancing hut to "bring it." The dancing hut is NOT to be trifled with. Plus, you see those skulls with the glowing eye sockets on the table of contents page for November's Dungeon? Those eye sockets are glowing for a reason.

2. What is the basis of this adventure? It's based on the adventure penned by Roger E. Moore in Dragon Magazine #83 (with the black and white chessboard cover). It holds true to Roger's vision of the dancing hut in many ways. That is, it's built around a tesseract and is MUCH larger on the inside than the hut's outer appearance would suggest. It contains MANY rooms, filled with all sorts of monsters and treasures. Players who enjoy mapping dungeons will have a hard time mapping the hut.

3. Does the adventure contain an enormous "mortar and pestle?" Yep. Baba Yaga's iconic mode of transportation is in there...somewhere.

4. What kinds of monsters might be encountered in the 4E version of the dancing hut? There are hags aplenty, including one variant that hasn't previously been translated into D&D 4E. Also, there's something that "lurks." And there's something that "traps." And there's a whole bunch of chickens. As it turns out, chickens are fun.

5. That's fine. But, what about Elena the Fair and Natasha the Dark? Both of Baba Yaga's adopted daughters are incorporated into the 4E-updated hut. However, much time has passed since the original version of the hut was published. Elena and Natasha have been up to things in the interim, and this new dancing hut adventure addresses these happenings in (I hope) interesting and surprising ways.

So, there you go. Get your players ready to dive into Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut. It should be tons of fun.

Feel free to post questions. I'll answer what I can, but don't be surprised if my answers are a little cryptic. I don't want to give too much away just now.

Craig Campbell
Author of "Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut"

Last edited:

Remove ads