Back to DDI: what have I missed?

malraux

First Post
I'll hopefully be starting a campaign shortly and thus resubscribing to DDI for compendium access. The one thing I've heard is that Dragon/Dungeon have improved inthe last six months or so. Somewhat are everyone's list of best of the magazines for this year? Adventures, fluff, classes, what is worth combing through the archive to read?

ourchair

First Post
I'll hopefully be starting a campaign shortly and thus resubscribing to DDI for compendium access. The one thing I've heard is that Dragon/Dungeon have improved inthe last six months or so. Somewhat are everyone's list of best of the magazines for this year? Adventures, fluff, classes, what is worth combing through the archive to read?
As someone who really enjoys trying out pre-written adventure content, I can say that the adventures have substantially improved since the start of this year.

My favorite is January's "Bark at the Moon," a level 6 adventure focusing on a war between werewolves and eladrin is pretty well written though I'm definitely going to run many more when I can.

As far as I'm concerned, the adventures aren't Stunning Works of Brilliance, but they have some very interesting story hooks. If anything, much of the enjoyment I get from these adventures is how the player's respond and react to them because of their intriguing flavor, which pops out more because the designs are less grind heavy.

I don't currently run a Dark Sun campaign, but the Eye on Dark Sun series, which gives DMs different ideas they are free to toy with for an Athas set campaign, is rather excellent as well.

Obryn

Hero
I am using a ton of the Dark Sun stuff in the magazines...

(1) The Vault of Darom Madar - an excellent kickstarter for a campaign, and dovetails nicely into the Bloodsand Arena gameday adventure.
(2) Beneath the Dust - A pretty great adventure which has proven fruitful for hooks
(3) Mahin'drazal - I didn't have much prep time last week, so this was a great little desert encounter
(4) The Six Fingered Sign - starting next week!

If you missed them, the new themes are pretty great additions so long as everyone gets one!

It's been great this year, honestly. I feel I've already gotten $70 worth; I've used more of it than at least four of the books I've bought.

-O

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Yeah, Themes were a definite highlight.

I'd also say that the Eladrin Knight build was cool (January issue, IIRC), even if I disagree with the restriction to one race only.

The White Well fey pact for Hexblades was pretty cool. The star pact Hexblade was neat as well (November issue).

The Battle Cleric Options article from D400 was good.

D397 had some good articles in the fluff camp with Faith & Heresy, and the Unearthed Arcana one on Henchmen was neat.

Bards of Wolfstone from D396 was good.

D395 also had a good Unearthed Arcana on building strongholds. The costs are a little ridiculous, but it's a good starting point.

D391 featured a fluff/crunch article on Staff Fighting, which was cool. Also had the now-infamous Pyromancer mage build in it.

D390 has [MENTION=607]Klaus[/MENTION]' excellent article on The Shivs of Sorcery.

I know there has been more cool stuff, but I can't remember it all at the moment. Those are basically my highlights from a quick browse through my Dragon folder from the past 12 months. Some of this might not be news to you, but I don't know when you unsubscribed.

Remove ads