D&D General Backpacks and Sacks Carrying Capacity and Dimensions

Same process, different priority. I don't care about inventory management period.

Also, based on the random animosity against videogames, I'm going to assume you don't know, but most video games with an inventory DO track ammo and make you play annoying inventory minigames. I don't like those parts of them either, but at least they're automatic.

For the love of...

I said the want to emulate the fantasy stories that don't care, not that none of them care. Also, I'm pretty sure LotR isn't the only fantasy story and it certainly doesn't include all the tropes one might or might not want to play out. It's a nice place to read about and watch, but I wouldn't want to play a TTRPG there.
So you don't want such trivial things like ammo and encumbrance to limit your char. Rules are for the other guys. You want your char to soar to uncharted heights, but such rules chafe and bind your char to the ground.

Is that about right? Like I said, I have had a player quit on the spot with pretty much that thought process.

Vaalingrade

Legend
So you don't want such trivial things like ammo and encumbrance to limit your char. Rules are for the other guys. You want your char to soar to uncharted heights, but such rules chafe and bind your char to the ground.

Is that about right? Like I said, I have had a player quit on the spot with pretty much that thought process.
Where are you getting these things? Please stop throwing random attacks at the wall and trying to make them stick.

I don't want to have to track them. If the DM is willing to pretend they matter, fine. I just. Don't. Care.

@Vaalingrade Just let it go. Let this thread die. Lets stop feeding it.

@Vince_Snetterton is welcome to run the game the way he wants. He has already whined that lots of players drop from his games because of the way he runs them. He apparently knows why and if he gets enough players to run his games then he should just keep on doing it his way if that is what he wants. There is no reason he needs to change the way he plays and runs D&D because its the way he always has. Just because a large number of folks, myself included, do not play or run D&D they way we did 40 years ago, doesn't mean we are right and he is wrong.

I track weight very specifically, and have character sheets list where everything is (in case someone drops their back to run faster, etc.). I also will penalize characters if they sleep in cold weather without a tent and a cold weather blanket, don’t have enough water, etc. But I never worried about how much weight or dimensions could be carried in a specific container. Usually the non-magical places PC’s in my games are backpack, on top/bottom/rear of backpack, belt pouch, pockets, weapon belts, worn, over shoulder, etc. If they want to carry something awkward that wasn’t a weight problem, like a chair maybe, I’d say OK but it takes both hands.

Bupp

Adventurer
We're all just talking different styles of play. I've played and ran every gamut of equipment and encumbrance rules. From handing out bags of holding early on, to meticulously counting coins.

Digital character sheets are wonderful for when you want encumbrance to matter.
I also host a collection of inventory sheets on my blog, many of them calculating.

I've even declared "you're 5th level now, all your characters would probably be well prepared, and have a better idea than you (the player) at what stuff they should have on them. You are assumed to be carrying (within reason) any mundane gear that you will need, without tracking it on a character sheet." In those kinds of games I charged higher living expenses to account for having the "batman utility belt".

Remove ads