• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Balance check DCs -- Rocking boat

snarfoogle

First Post
The Balance entry in the SRD doesn't go into this -- The PCs in my next game (4th to 6th level) will be fighting on a sinking ship, rocked with cannon fire. What should the DC be, and the penalty for a failure? Or for a ship in stormy seas? Thanks in advance.

IamTheTest

First Post
Sounds like a fun combat. Id make the DC be 19. 10 (base)+ 5 (severely obstructed, with debris from the cannons and such) +2 (Slippery, water will do that) +2 (Sloped, ship rocking).

The penalties may include falling prone or, if failed by 10+, being washed overboard.

Infiniti2000

First Post
If there's a chance to be washed overboard, I'd give a reflex save (perhaps DC 15 or 20, depending on the railing) to catch the railing. Keep in mind that constant balance checks and reflex saves will become annoying quickly. So, you might want to require it only when moving at something like greater than 1/2 speed.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
snarfoogle said:
The Balance entry in the SRD doesn't go into this -- The PCs in my next game (4th to 6th level) will be fighting on a sinking ship, rocked with cannon fire. What should the DC be, and the penalty for a failure? Or for a ship in stormy seas? Thanks in advance.

Sloped or angled floor: DC 10 (only used when running or charging)
Lightly obstructed: +2 (note - I'd reserve the "heavily obstructed" for something like rubble, and I don't think the deck of a ship will come close)
Lightly slippery: +2 (again - I'd see severely slippery as oil or something and I don't think water on a surface intended to be walked on will be that bad).

So - dc 14, but only when charging or running. Given that almost noone has balance skill, this will probably still lead to PC's slipping over and maybe falling overboard.

lonesoldier

First Post
I would say DC 14, I'm with Saeviomagy. Make sure they get a reflex save to not fall overboard when they fail by 10+.

How often are you planning to make them make checks? When a cannonball hits? When they attack? Are attacked? When they move?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
lonesoldier said:
I would say DC 14, I'm with Saeviomagy. Make sure they get a reflex save to not fall overboard when they fail by 10+.

I wouldn't even have them falling overboard. Failing by more than means simply that you fall prone. That's a bad enough penalty in the average fight.

Maybe you could have waves that move everyone 5' to one side of the battlefield each round - that means that a fallen combatant could potentially be in danger if he doesn't get up.

Whimsical

Explorer
And I would handle waves as a bullrushing large creature with a STR of 12 + 1d12 (or simplify it to a bull rush check of 1d20 + 5 + 1d6.) Dwarves would get their stability bonus because the bull rush mechanic is being used. How much the waves win the check would determine how far back the targets get pushed back.

myradale

First Post
Actually, as a DM, I'd do my best to try and knock at least one of the characters overboard.
The armor check penalties for swimming are there for a reason, and if a player is dumb enough to wear his full plate armor on a sailing ship he deserves a good old trip to the briny deep.

By eliminating the chance that they'll fall overboard, you are avoiding one of the great dangers (and hence one of the biggest interests) in "on-the-open-seas" combat.
Be sure to apply this to enemies as well though...
In a storm tossed, cannon firing ship to ship fight, I'd be really surprised if at least ONE person didn't get wet.

And as long as they have a decent constitution, and are ok with cutting straps on their armor, they should survive.

frankthedm

First Post
myradale said:
The armor check penalties for swimming are there for a reason, and if a player is dumb enough to wear his full plate armor on a sailing ship he deserves a good old trip to the briny deep.

DAMN STRAIT! :] ;)

Remove ads