Balance Powerful Build 0LA

Destil

Explorer
Sigurd said:
A number of posts I've seen have tried to squeeze powerful build into a 0 LA race. This appears to me to balance out. What do people think:

Skaggur Orc
Bred with care from the largest Orcs and Ogres this servitor race has grown large under the heel of its Masters. Not alll Skaggurs remain in service however. Some are abandoned, escape or are born to free orc tribes. The maturity of a Skaggur is celebrated in any orc clan.

Medium Size
30ft movement
+2 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Wis
+2 racial bonus to Spot and listen
Powerful Build
Light Sensitivity (as the Orc)
-2 Will Saves (this is a biggy because it gives you a real weakness to charm and mind control.)
Must take toughness as your first level feat. (essentially lose a feat.)​
Sigurd
How about replace "must take toughness" with "Can take Powerful Build as a feat at 1st level". A bit more elegent of a solution.

Really -2 Dex -2 Int is a big hit on a reach fighter. One less AoO from combat reflexes, needs to put a 14-15 into Int (before adjustments) in order to get expertiese for improved trip or disarm... If anything perhaps +2 Str +2 Con -4 Dex -2 Int -2 Wis and the -1 size bonus to attack rolls and AC if they take powerful build and I think it would be quite fair.

Also, note that with -2 Wis and -2 to will saves it would be failing 85% vs 70% on the same save. That's pretty significant, even once you get a good cloak of resistance your will saves are still weak.

Technik4

First Post
I don't want to reduce the Charisma of these bad boys. I don't think charisma reductions work for a dynamic critter with a forceful (if angry) personality. You get into the half orc fudge for intimidate etc... Better to leave charisma alone it's usually a dump stat for warrior beasts anyway.

Well, I remember back in 3.0 Intimidate could be modified by Strength instead of Charisma if you were actively using your strength to intimidate, rather than words. Leaving Wisdom alone gives them the nature options (Barbarian, Ranger, Druids) which all rely on wisdom and hampers the mage options (Wizards and Sorcerers) as well as other things that don't make sense (Bards, Paladins, and to a lesser extent Clerics).

You could probably reduce both Wisdom and Charisma and still come out on the safe side of things.

Zirnitra

First Post
Well you already have a -4 overall stats, -2 on will, and light sensitivity, that's a pretty big disadvantage, skip the toughness thing then I think it's about balanced, if not a bit underpowered.

Remove ads